Website Wittington Investments
22 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M4T 2S7
Wittington Investments, Limited, a private Canadian company, is the holding company of the Weston group of companies, which includes George Weston Limited, Loblaw Companies Limited and Choice Properties REIT.
George Weston Limited is a Canadian public company, founded in 1882. George Weston has two operating segments: Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada’s largest food and drug retailer and a provider of financial services, and Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust, Canada’s largest and preeminent diversified REIT. With over 200,000 employees working at George Weston and its operating segments, the group of companies represent one of Canada’s largest private sector employers.
Associate, Direct Investments, Sustainability and Energy Transition
The Associate, Direct Investments will be a key part of building and executing on Wittington’s new direct private equity platform, focused on sustainability and energy transition (“SET”).
Reporting to the Managing Director, Direct Investments you will be part of a small, entrepreneurial investment team supporting strategy development, business development, deal origination, due diligence and transaction execution and portfolio company management.
Who You’ll Work With:
- The core direct private equity team, of which you will be 1 of 3 initially, will include a lead Managing Director, and Senior Principal.
- As part of your investment activities, you will engage with the broader investment team, including the private equity funds and venture teams, the group president and senior executive investment committee members.
- Externally, you will engage with investment partners, advisors, investment targets and portfolio companies
- You will work with the finance, tax and accounting teams, as well as the broader Weston ecosystem, as required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Support the development of the direct private equity SET strategy and investment portfolio
- Research, monitor and analyze trends and developments in targeted sectors, global markets, and apply these to the investment mandate, origination and portfolio management
- Support the identification and validation of attractive investment opportunities. . Lead analysis, due diligence, modeling and investment execution process. Support documentation. Coordinate and support the operational, legal and tax review.
- Engage with investee companies and partners on portfolio company management. Implement performance tracking, monitoring and risk management processes.
Experience, competencies and behavioural attributes include:
- 2-5 years of experience in investments, preferably private equity. Broad knowledge of capital markets, credit, equities, and alternative investments
- Strong investment acumen, ability to evaluate investment opportunities relative to risk.
- Energy sector knowledge and experience a differentiator. Understanding of the energy transition and sustainable investing
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills
- Business development and relationship management capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and proven presentation skills. Ability to communicate clearly with internal colleagues and external parties. Experience and/or the ability to credibly present to an Investment Committee and/or investment team.
- MBA and/or CFA a plus
Number of Openings
Wittington recognizes Canada’s diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
For more information, please visit and follow us on LinkedIn or Indeed
Please Note: If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application