Website William Blair
Solutions for Today’s Challenges. Vision for Tomorrow’s Opportunities. Join the Premier Global Boutique: William Blair.
At William Blair, serving our clients starts with the capabilities and collaboration of our team—making our employees our most important asset. Unlike others, we’re an independent partnership that is personally committed to our people and clients. What sets us apart is the way we do it—our culture, our values, and our commitment to local communities.
We strive to attract the most qualified, passionate candidates who specialize in investment banking, investment management, private wealth management, and a variety of other business functions.
Currently, our firm has more than 2,100 employees throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
A top priority of ours is talent development, fostering professional and personal growth of our employees. We take pride in empowering our people to bring their best thinking each day so we can deliver the tailored, thoughtful work and problem-solving abilities that our clients have come to expect.
We work tirelessly to create an inclusive culture. Our employees have unique experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to thoughtfully meet the evolving challenges and opportunities facing our global client base amid dynamic market conditions and varying industries, whether technological, economic or geopolitical.
We are equally proud of our long-term partnerships with the communities in which we live and work, a legacy we inherited from our founder more than 85 years ago.
For more information about our firm, log onto www.williamblair.com.
William Blair Investment Management is committed to building enduring relationships with our clients. We work closely with private and public pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations, and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors. We are 100% active-employee-owned with broad-based ownership. Our investment teams are solely focused on active management and employ disciplined, analytical research processes across a wide range of strategies, including U.S. equity, non-U.S. equity, emerging markets debt, and multi-asset. William Blair is based in Chicago with global resources providing expertise and solutions to meet our clients’ evolving needs.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
- William Blair is seeking an ESG Stewardship Associate to support the firm’s proxy voting and investee company engagement efforts
- The successful candidate will report to the director of sustainable investing and contribute to the firm’s global stewardship activities
- The individual will support the firm’s proxy voting process and policies, working closely with the global and U.S. equity teams, as well as the proxy administration team
- Identify material voting considerations in support of fundamental equity analysts
- Analyze key proxy proposals and advisor voting recommendations
- Provide proxy voting advice and guidance on key proposals to fundamental analysts who have primary company research responsibilities
- Support fundamental analysts, ESG analysts and portfolio managers as they engage with company management teams and board members on material issues, including proxy-related matters
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the firm’s proxy voting policies and guidelines
- Liaise with William Blair’s proxy administration team, proxy committee and external proxy advisor
- Document voting activity in internal systems and provide relevant examples for inclusion in reporting materials
- Identify emerging topics and best practices in proxy voting and corporate governance and communicate to colleagues
- Demonstrated experience in proxy voting, corporate governance and engagement
- Experience with proxy advisors and processes is preferred
- Familiarity with ESG-related shareholder proposals and proxy-related industry trends
- Self-motivated individual with the ambition to succeed and work collaboratively in an environment that demands constant multi-tasking
- Effective writing skills to support recording of voting and engagement activity on internal systems as well as identification of meaningful and relevant examples for inclusion in reporting materials
- Undergraduate degree and minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Completion of ESG-focused credential or certificate program is preferred (e.g., SASB FSA, CFA ESG Certificate, PRI Academy, etc