Website Wellington Management
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
About The Role
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world’s largest independent investment management firms. With more than US$1.1 trillion in assets under management as of 30 September 2023, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 60 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative and inclusive culture because we believe that multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
Our global investment platform is comprised of over 500 investment professionals across multiple investment functions (Investment Research, Investment Boutiques, Investment Strategy, Risk & Investment Science, Hedge Funds and Private Investments) in the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions.
The Sustainability Group leadership team is responsible for ensuring that Wellington has the necessary research driven Sustainable Investment offerings and capabilities, infrastructure, talent and products to meet the evolving needs of clients, now and in the future.
As part of continued growth, we are seeking to recruit a Director to lead the integration of Sustainable insights across the Equity and Fixed Income portfolio management teams within the Investment Boutiques division, with the goal of driving client growth and new business within Sustainable Investing (SI) products on the investment platform. They will develop and execute a strategic plan to foster a robust community, ensure collaboration of investors interested in SI, drive SI education and the integration of SI into investment processes in a thoughtful, prioritized way, and develop stronger process around the creation and oversight of SI products and investors. The position will be based in Boston or London and will report to the Head of the Sustainability Group.
The successful candidate will have a passion for investing, demonstrable problem-solving skills, a commercial outlook, and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative environment. They will be focused on helping investment teams authentically integrate Sustainability into their investment processes, in the name of delivering excellent performance for our clients. It is critical that this individual is a creative, results-driven leader, with the strongest ability to build trust-based relationships with investors.
Integration of Sustainability
Leading The Effort To Integrate Sustainability Across Investment Boutiques
- Educating Equity and Fixed Income investors on the benefits of, and ways of integrating, SI insights – ESG, Climate, Stewardship and Impact – for the purposes of idea generation and risk mitigation;
- Partnering with line managers and the Investment Products & Fund Strategies group to prioritize and encourage investment teams to develop more deliberate integration of SI tools and processes;
- Partnering with the COO of the Sustainability Group to ensure investors have the tools needed to successfully integrate SI in their processes;
- Partnering with the Client Platform on a product development roadmap for Sustainability.
Sustainable Investment Community
Fostering robust processes and collaboration among investors interested in sustainable investing:
- Developing stronger process around the creation of SI products and oversight of investors;
- Continuing to drive talent development frameworks and processes that attract, develop and retain investment talent, in order to drive the growth of this initiative;
- Creating routines and structures that help Sustainability linked investors feel connected to something bigger, striving to be ‘best in class’;
- Management and oversight of Sustainability linked PM teams;
- Supporting SI investors to develop well-articulated investment philosophies and processes.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills – the successful candidate will bring credibility to engage productively with senior investors and leaders, including the ability to provide a point of view, constructively challenge status quo, and solve problems. They will bring a flexible mindset and a creative approach to problem solving, with the discretion to manage competing priorities from multiple stakeholders;
- Programme leadership experience with strategic orientation – the Director will develop and execute programmes that support the group’s strategic plan. Superior organizational skills, with a process and results orientation, the ability to manage, prioritize and complete multiple workstreams simultaneously, is necessary.
The successful candidate is likely to have:
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience. Experience as an investor (Analyst or Portfolio Manager), or in a role working closely with investors, is strongly preferred;
- A passion for, and demonstrable knowledge of, the Sustainable Investing business, and for capital markets more broadly, with a commercial orientation, i.e. ‘a student of the industry’;
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to articulate and integrate numerous viewpoints, and mobilize/influence across all levels of the organization, including senior leaders;
- The ability to navigate stressful situations with poise, focused on being a calming presence, an active listener and a pragmatic problem solver;
- Strong academic credentials.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com.
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry. We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 – 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington’s total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)