Website Wellington Management
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
About The Role
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world’s largest independent investment management firms. With more than US$1.1 trillion in assets under management as of 30 September 2023, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 60 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative, and inclusive culture because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
Our global investment platform is comprised of over 500 investment professionals across seven investment functions (Hedge Funds, Private Investments, Investment Research, Investment Boutiques, Sustainability, Investment Strategy, and Risk & Investment Science) in the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions.
The Sustainability Group leadership team is responsible for ensuring that Wellington has research-driven Sustainable Investment offerings and capabilities, infrastructure, talent and products to meet the evolving needs of clients, now and in the future. As part of continued growth, we are seeking to recruit an experienced Director, ESG Investments to provide investment-oriented thought-leadership, research, and portfolio management of our ESG research efforts, and strategic leadership of our investment stewardship agenda. In collaboration with the Equity, Fixed Income and Sector Research teams, and the ESG Analysts, the Director will set the broad ESG research agenda, research cross-sector ESG themes and trends, and provide product leadership to our ESG research and engagement strategy, based on materiality across industries, sectors and geographies. The position will be based in Boston or London, and will report to the Head of the Sustainability Group.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record as an investor, a passion for Sustainable/ESG investing, a commercial outlook, and the ability to define and execute a strategic agenda within a highly collaborative environment. They will be focused on integrating ESG and engagement into investment processes, as a means of enhancing performance for our clients. It is critical that this individual be a creative thinker, and able to collaborate with a broad group of stakeholders.
ESG Research and Portfolio Management
Leading The Strategy Around ESG Research, Trends, And Themes, And Helping To Translate Those Research Themes Into Investable Ideas Across The Firm
- Conducting research on emerging topics and themes which span industries, and identifying major secular themes, helping the firm to connect ESG data points within and across sectors;
- Ensuring ESG research contributes to important and differentiated research outcomes by fostering connectivity across research agendas, and collaboration among the ESG Analysts and Thematic teams;
- In partnership with sector team leaders, helping Analysts to make thematic topics actionable, with a focus on companies on which we can move the needle via a differentiated view;
- Fostering a productive research dialogue, deep with analytical rigor, forward looking and long term, focused on ‘what matters’, with a differentiated perspective and next level thinking;
- Building the strategy for Sustainable research products, acting as leader, managing and overseeing sector-specific or thematic ESG research products as PM, capital allocator, and/or team leader, as appropriate;
- Contributing to ESG Analysts’ development, training, and resource allocation (matrix management, with solid line to sector team leaders);
- Collaborating with investors and strategists across the firm, as well as with Wellington clients and prospects, to provide expertise on ESG market dynamics and trends.
Stewardship and Engagement
Developing and guiding the firm’s efforts on ESG policy, standards and engagements:
- Developing a forward-looking engagement strategy, based on investment materiality across industries, sectors, companies, and geographies in collaboration with sector teams;
- Identifying trends to guide the strategy for stewardship integration;
- Overseeing engagement efforts in collaboration with the Proxy Voting team and ESG Analysts;
- Prioritizing engagement efforts and driving substantive engagements, with outcomes that benefit our clients.
- Investment acumen and passion – the successful candidate will have a deep understanding of the ways in which ESG research and engagement are used to value investments. They will be passionate about investing, with a demonstrated track record of successful investments. They must exhibit a highly analytical and detailed approach, within the context of overall portfolio philosophy and process;
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills – the successful candidate will bring credibility to engage productively with senior investors and leaders, including the ability to provide a point of view, constructively challenge status quo, and solve problems. They will bring a flexible mindset and creative approach to problem solving, with the discretion to manage competing priorities from multiple stakeholders.
The successful candidate is likely to have:
- 10+ years of experience as an investment professional, with deep experience in ESG investing;
- A passion for the Sustainable Investing business, and for capital markets more broadly, with a commercial orientation;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to articulate and integrate numerous viewpoints, and mobilize/influence across all levels of the organization, including senior leaders;
- The ability to navigate stressful situations with poise, focused on being a calming presence, an active listener and a pragmatic problem solver;
- Prior experience of managing investors;
- Strong academic credentials, ideally including an MBA and/or CFA (or equivalent).
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com.
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry. We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 – 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington’s total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)