Position location: Remote within US Eastern or Central time zones
WaterEquity is the first asset manager exclusively focused on solving one of the most urgent issues of our time—the global water and sanitation crisis. We invest in financial institutions, enterprises, and infrastructure in emerging markets delivering access to safe water and sanitation to low-income consumers while offering an attractive risk-return profile to investors.
Founded by engineer Gary White and actor/writer Matt Damon of Water.org, the success of WaterEquity is built on decades of experience investing in water and sanitation in emerging markets, delivering proven social and financial returns. Since 2016, WaterEquity has raised more than $200 million across three funds, reaching more than 3 million people with access to safe water or sanitation, with women comprising 97% of individuals directly supported by our investments.
WaterEquity is a purpose-driven company with a culture of innovation. Additional information about WaterEquity is available at www.waterequity.org.
WaterEquity is seeking an Impact Analyst who will work closely with the investment management team to integrate impact and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) principles across the entire investment lifecycle, with a particular focus on portfolio monitoring and impact verification. The ideal candidate has strong analytical skills and can effectively communicate results, has experience in impact management and/or evaluation, and has a passion for WaterEquity’s mission.
The Impact Analyst has the exciting opportunity to shape impact measurement and management at WaterEquity. This is a new role within a growing organization that will strengthen existing systems and develop innovative approaches to impact verification. The Impact Analyst will lead on research and analysis that cover a range of topics related to WaterEquity’s impact, including health and well-being, gender equity, client protection, climate resilience, and greenhouse gas accounting.
- Work closely with the portfolio management team to check data quality and analyze investee performance against impact targets
- Follow up directly with investees to improve the quality of data reporting
- Identify risks and opportunities for impact within the portfolio, and collaborate with the investment management team to recommend decisions or actions as a result of findings
- Lead on quarterly and annual impact performance reporting for investors, in coordination with the portfolio management and investor relations teams
- Lead on impact verification at WaterEquity, including informing the approach with methodological expertise, prioritizing investments for verification, engaging third-party service providers, conducting data analysis, and communicating results
- Support the accounting and disclosure of WaterEquity’s financed greenhouse gas emissions
- Provide analysis and dashboards, written materials, and oral presentations to the team, investment committee, or external stakeholders as necessary
- Work closely with investment leads at deal screening and due diligence. Support the team to confirm that investments align with WaterEquity’s impact objectives, set social impact targets, and assess the potential positive and negative outcomes of each transaction
- Provide training as needed to the investment management team on impact and ESG
Communications & Field Building
- Support the communications team to build a marketing repository that illustrates investees’ impact for external publications such as the Annual Report, investee profiles, thought leadership, case studies, etc.
- Actively participate in industry initiatives to stay current with the latest trends in impact and ESG and suggest continual improvements at WaterEquity
- Build a network among peers, potential vendors, and experts in water and sanitation to inform WaterEquity’s understanding of impact and ESG
Skills and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be analytical, curious, and collaborative, motivated by learning, and highly focused on quality and accuracy.
- B.A. degree required; coursework or additional training in topics such as evaluation, statistics, data analytics preferred
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a related field such as impact investing, evaluation, international development, climate finance, or water and sanitation
- Demonstrated experience conducting data analysis and communicating results in a clear, compelling, and concise manner
- Familiarity with best practices in impact management and ESG, including knowledge of relevant industry standards and tools, AND/OR familiarity with evaluation methodologies and research in the social sciences—for example economics, public health, or anthropology
- Strong experience with Excel required; experience with additional databases, data analysis, and data visualization tools a bonus
- Able to quickly become familiar with WaterEquity’s technology tools, including Salesforce.com and Sharepoint
- Passionate about WaterEquity’s mission, and comfortable working at a fast-paced, growing organization with an ambitious vision
- Analytical thinker with strong attention to detail and proven project management skills
- Experience in emerging markets and/or working on global teams
- An effective team player with the ability to work alone and partner with people of all levels across multiple global locations
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you are excited about this role but don’t feel as though your experience aligns perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply regardless. You may be just the right candidate for this role.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time team member. Minimal travel required (5-10%).
No relocation benefits or visa sponsorship will be offered.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application – Impact Analyst” in the subject line.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer. At WaterEquity, we are on an intentional journey to determine how we can champion diversity, equity, and inclusion not only within our organization but also within our industry. We are committed to creating a diverse work environment that is characterized by engagement, a sense of connection, and respect for the differences and contributions of all our professionals. WaterEquity recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.