Temasek is an investment company with a net portfolio value of S$381B (~US$280B) as of 31 March 2021. Its three roles as an Investor, Institution and Steward, as defined in the Temasek Charter, shape Temasek’s ethos to do well, do right and do good. Temasek actively seeks sustainable solutions to address present and future challenges, through investment and other opportunities that help to bring about a better, smarter and more sustainable world. For more information on Temasek, please visit www.temasek.com.sg.
ESG Investment Management (ESG IM) is part of the Portfolio Strategy & Risk Group (PSRG) that provides guidance on our strategic direction and portfolio objectives. ESG IM partners closely with teams across the Investment Group (IG) and the broader institution to advance ESG as a core engine across Temasek’s global investments to build a resilient and forward-looking portfolio which has sustainability at the core. Specifically, ESG IM’s areas of focus are as follows:
- Deepening and expanding ESG integration across the investment process to both manage risks and drive sustainable value creation across the portfolio
- Integrating climate risks and opportunities, strengthening climate readiness of investees, and advancing portfolio decarbonisation
- Harnessing ESG investment insights and originating, evaluating and executing new ESG investment strategies and strategic partnerships (“ESG Investing”)
- Strengthening ESG data, analytics and tools that support investment decisions, monitoring and reporting of ESG metrics, and ESG capabilities and best practices
ESG IM is seeking to hire an experienced professional to drive “ESG Investing”. The individual will work closely with the MD of ESG IM and teams across IG, PSRG and the Sustainability Group (SG) to stay ahead of ESG market trends and investment insights, generate new ESG ideas and strategies, and accelerate investments with strong ESG thesis that strengthen portfolio resiliency and long-term sustainable value creation. The role will be primarily focused on equity related investments in both public and private markets and require fundamental bottoms-up investing skills as well as a strong understanding of ESG related market trends.
- ESG investments and strategies: Originate, evaluate, and execute ESG related investment ideas for targeted thematic exposures and alpha generation. Monitor market developments and harness ESG insights to identify and evaluate emerging ESG risks and opportunities and new investment ideas.
- ESG related investment partnerships: Expand targeted networks, establish strategic investment partnerships, and harness these to expand deal flow and strengthen capabilities where ESG is a key thesis and source of sustainable value creation.
- These responsibilities will require the individual to work closely with IG, PSRG and SG teams. The role will entail developing and delivering presentations that support the financial and strategic case for ESG related investments and sharing ESG insights across the organization.
Professional Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Sustainability, or related areas; Master’s degree or higher is preferred
- At least 7 years of buy-side or sell-side experience in fundamental equity investments and/or research; experience in both public and private equity investing related to ESG is a plus
- Commercial judgment and strategic forward-looking mindset to identify and execute on differentiated investment opportunities
- Excellent fundamental analytical skills and proficiency with financial models and platforms
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to navigate complexity, influence and build consensus
- Strong sense of purpose and intellectual curiosity and passion for ESG with ongoing learning with ability to transfer and apply ESG know-how / investment insights across teams
- Strong team player with intercultural awareness and ability to work across geographies and diverse teams
- Strong communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated track record of initiating, driving, and executing across multiple initiatives
- Flexible and adaptable with ability to work hours that extend across time zones
As an active global investor, and a forward looking institution, Temasek hires and develops its people consistent with our MERITT values of Meritocracy, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Trust. We believe there is not only value in diversity, but the cross fertilisation of experiences and ideas across geographies, and the ability to connect the diverse dots, has become one of our key strengths which we can build on as we continue to transform and evolve, and aim for a new Temasek 2030. Applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds are encouraged.