Website University Pension Plan Ontario
UPP is the first pension plan of its kind in Ontario’s university sector, proudly serving over 39,000 members across four universities and 12 affiliate organizations. Our purpose is to bring greater retirement peace of mind to the university sector by investing with integrity and serving members with care. As a sector-wide plan designed for growth, our doors are open to all Ontario universities.
Together, we’re a team of progressive thinkers and agile doers operating within a fast-paced culture of collaboration and respect. We believe in bringing smart and capable people together to create, solve and grow
with a clear shared vision and values of integrity, inclusivity, ingenuity, and impact.
Our culture is intentionally welcoming and purposefully rooted in equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation (EDIR). We believe diverse teams, perspectives, and lived experiences contribute to better decisions and a better workplace.
As a long-term investor, we recognize that environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) factors support risk management and value creation. As stated in our Responsible Investing Policy, we are committed to incorporating ESG considerations into our investment management activities and we collaborate with other industry participants in the promotion of a sustainable economy and society.
Join us in building a bright future for our members, our organization, and each other.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are actively looking for an Intern Analyst to join our Responsible Investing team in May 2024, for a 4-month internship (May 2024-August 2024). This role will be part of a dynamic Investment team, reporting to our Director, Investor Stewardship. This role will provide opportunities to engage with internal Investment and Communications partners as well as external stakeholders and partners.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a graduate or undergraduate student, that will be returning to school, to gain valuable work experience in a fast-growing, dynamic environment while being a part of a new pension plan.
UPP is based in Toronto’s financial district and has a hybrid work model (minimum 2 days / week in office).
Please note that this is a paid internship opportunity.
- Conduct research and analysis on ESG aspects of UPP’s investment portfolio (including climate and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) metrics).
- Assist with proxy voting to ensure the Plan’s votes are cast in accordance with our proxy voting policy.
- Work with UPP professionals to support systematic integration of ESG considerations into assessments of new investment opportunities and existing portfolio investments.
- Support the development of UPP’s position statements on salient ESG issues.
- Support the preparation for meetings with the management and/or board members of corporations to encourage them to address salient ESG issues.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree, in Environment and Business Sustainability, Financial Management, Legal Studies, Law or a related field, or related Masters’ program.
- Proficient in Excel with the ability to manipulate data.
- Strong analytical skills and communication skills with the ability to understand, dissect and summarize complex information.
- Possesses basic knowledge of, and a keen interest in, environmental and social sustainability in relation to business and capital markets.
- Strong statistical and quantitative skills, an asset
- Independent problem solver
- Analytical, adaptive, multi-tasker, who has a strong work ethic and leadership skills
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism
- Persuasive and confident communicator, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented
- Alignment with UPP’s desire to be a leader in Responsible Investing, ESG, and climate change.
LIFE AT UPP
Do work that matters. We are duty-bound to serve our members’ interests, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly. That’s why we’ve ingrained sustainability in our work from day one—to ensure our members have a resilient future to retire into, both today and for generations to come.
Stronger together. Collaboration is how UPP was born, and it’s how we work with each other and our partners day in, day out. No one at UPP is just a number (even if they are excellent at math) and every win is a shared win.
Grow every day. You’ll have the opportunity to work on unique, once-in-a-career projects that maximize your skill set and probably teach you some new ones—at any stage in your career.
Prioritize wellness. At UPP, wellness takes many forms. Ultimately, it’s about ensuring our people are cared for in the ways that matter to them. Examples of benefits that our Early Talent Program includes are:
- Supportive and welcoming onboarding through the UPP Buddy Program
- Free snacks and beverages (coffee, tea, and flavored water) in the office
- Monthly social events
- Paid holidays
- Slowdown periods and Mental Health Days
UPP enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified applicants and especially invites people with lived experience as an Indigenous person, a person with a disability or as a member of another Human Rights Code protected group that faces barriers to employment to apply. Our goal is to create a barrier-free experience for every candidate throughout the recruitment process, so if you require accommodation at any point during the process, please let us know so that we can make the appropriate arrangements. It would be our honor to work with you to adapt our processes to ensure that you can meaningfully participate.