Website University Pension Plan of Ontario (UPP)
OUR COMPANY BACKGROUND & CULTURE
UPP is a ground-breaking jointly sponsored pension plan tailored by and for Ontario’s university sector. Today, we manage $11.8 billion in pension assets and proudly serve over 37,000 working and retired members across four universities and 12 affiliate organizations. Our commitment is to protect the security and sustainability of our members’ pensions while delivering service excellence to our members and employers. UPP is a sector-wide plan designed for growth – our doors are open to all Ontario universities.
Our people are the heart of our organization. Together, we are creating a purpose-driven and inclusive workplace focused on a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and respect — for one another and the world around us. We’re looking for passionate individuals seeking a rewarding career and opportunities to build and shape an exciting new organization with a clear mission, and who share our core values of integrity, inclusivity, ingenuity, and impact.
We are actively looking for an Intern Analyst to join our Responsible Investing team in January 2023, for a 4-month internship. This role will be part of a growing and dynamic Investment team, reporting into our Managing Director, Responsible Investing. This dynamic role will provide opportunities to engage with internal Investment and Communications partners as well as external stakeholders and partners.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a graduate or undergraduate student to gain valuable work experience in a fast-growing, dynamic environment while being a part of a new pension plan.
Due to COVID-19 all roles are hybrid with a minimum commitment of 2 days a week in the office.
- Support the calculation of UPP’s financed emissions (carbon footprint)
- Support the evaluation, monitoring and reporting of the ESG characteristics of UPP’s investment portfolio (including climate and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) metrics)
- Work with UPP professionals to support systematic integration of ESG considerations into assessments of new investment opportunities and existing portfolio investments
- Research and provide support for ESG aspects of investment strategy implementation
- Support the Plan’s annual responsible investing reporting (including disclosure in line with the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures)
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree, in Environment and Business Sustainability, Financial Management, Legal Studies, Law or a related field, or related Masters’ program
- Proficient in Excel with the ability to manipulate data
- Proficient in Python
- Strong analytical skills and communication skills with the ability summarize data and information
- Possesses basic knowledge of, and a keen interest in, Canadian business and capital markets
- Independent problem solver
- Analytical, adaptive, multi-tasker, who has a strong work ethic and leadership skills
- High degree of self-motivation and professionalism
- Persuasive and confident communicator, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented with great statistical and quantitative skills
- Positive attitude
- Passionate about sustainability
APPLICATION DETAILS: We ask that you submit a one-page resume, cover letter and transcript as part of the application process.
UPP is pleased to offer accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for a job opportunity, or are contacted by UPP regarding a job opportunity, please advise of any accommodations you may require.