Website University Pension Plan of Ontario (UPP)
OUR COMPANY BACKGROUND & CULTURE
UPP is a ground-breaking jointly sponsored pension plan tailored by and for Ontario’s university sector. Today, we manage $11.8 billion in pension assets and proudly serve over 37,000 working and retired members across four universities and 12 university-sector affiliated organizations. Our commitment is to protect the security and sustainability of our members’ pensions while delivering service excellence to our members and employers. UPP is a sector-wide plan designed for growth – our doors are open to all Ontario universities.
Our people are the heart of our organization. Together, we are creating a purpose-driven and inclusive workplace focused on a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and respect — for one another and the world around us. We’re looking for passionate individuals seeking a rewarding career and opportunities to build and shape an exciting new organization with a clear mission, and who share our core values of integrity, inclusivity, ingenuity, and impact.
This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional professional to make a significant impact by helping integrate responsible investing practices into the investments of an exciting and ground-breaking pension plan.
As part of a strong, dedicated internal Responsible Investing (“RI”) team and reporting to the Director, RI, the Analyst, will contribute to organizational success by helping to implement the RI aspects of UPP’s investment strategy by preparing thematic research and building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders in support of UPP’s comprehensive RI and ESG goals. An inclusive ‘one fund’ mindset unites UPP’s investment team in a shared mission to meet the pension promise, deliver on UPP’s expectations as a responsible investor, and position our investment platform as a key competitive differentiator.
This dynamic role will provide opportunities to engage with internal Investment, Finance, Risk, and Communications partners as well as external stakeholders and partners.
This role is based in downtown Toronto under a hybrid work policy, allowing employees the flexibility to work remotely and in-office (approximately two days per week in-office).
The key areas of accountability for the Analyst, RI include, but are not limited to, ESG integration and knowledge management:
- Work with UPP’s investment professionals to support systematic integration of ESG considerations into assessments of new investment opportunities and existing portfolio investments.
- Collaborate on the implementation and monitoring of UPP’s external manager program across asset classes (public equity, public fixed income, private equity, private debt, infrastructure, real estate).
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis to support key investment decisions.
- Support preparation of materials that provide UPP’s members, Trustees, Sponsors and other stakeholders with clear and transparent RI information.
- Assist with proxy voting to ensure the Plan’s votes are cast in accordance with our proxy voting policy.
- Support the development of UPP’s position statements on salient ESG issues.
- Support the preparation for meetings with the management and/or board members of corporations to encourage them to address salient ESG issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in Environment and Business Sustainability, Financial Management, Economics, Law or a related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of related work experience in sustainability or investment management.
- Understanding of important sustainability issues like climate change, diversity, equity and inclusion, corporate governance, Indigenous rights and reconciliation, biodiversity, human rights or impact measurement and management – ideally from an investor perspective.
- Familiarity with the knowledge, skills, and tools of responsible/sustainable investment including ESG integration and stewardship (pursuit of CFA designation an asset).
- Familiarity with a range of financial instruments and investment strategies.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time-sensitive manner.
- Ability to build and preserve trusting relationships with peers, external partners and stakeholders.
- Persuasive and confident communicator, both verbal and written.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Strategic, analytical, and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Resourceful and persistent in gathering and assessing information with the ability to quickly distill complex concepts.
- Positive attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Passionate about sustainability
UPP is pleased to offer accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for a job opportunity, or are contacted by UPP regarding a job opportunity, please advise of any accommodations you may require.