Website TruFund Financial Services
About TruFund Financial Services, Inc.
TruFund Financial Services, Inc. (TruFund) is a National Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with offices in New York City; New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Atlanta, Georgia; Houston & Dallas, Texas; and Birmingham, Alabama. TruFund was established in 2005 as a national nonprofit organization that advances economic opportunity for underserved entrepreneurs including minority and women owned businesses to create thriving and resilient small businesses and entrepreneurial ecosystems in order to alleviate economic disparities and ensure an inclusive and equitable society.
As a nonprofit, mission-driven entity, TruFund seeks to stimulate economic development in communities that are underserved by traditional banking institutions by providing affordable capital, hands-on technical assistance and innovative solutions to small businesses, nonprofit organizations and real estate – affordable housing developers.
TruFund offers more than a loan – We provide an opportunity for underserved small businesses and low-income communities to thrive.
Job Title & Unit Description
Title: Vice President, Impact Investments
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Structured Lending & Investments
TruFund operates a private equity platform under their Structured Lending & Investments (“SLI”) unit.
All equity investments are executed under TruCapital, the firm’s wholly owned subsidiary. TruCapital seeks to promote equity capitalization. One way in which TruCapital is addressing this is by providing access to affordable equity capital to historically under-resourced developers nationwide through initiatives such as the Impact Developers Fund (IDF), It is also in the process of further expansion, and the SLI unit is looking to broaden its product offerings.
The Vice President will be responsible for helping the SVP manage and run the day-to-day investment operations of IDF as well as help out in the unit as necessary with other initiatives. With respect to the investment process, this will include pipeline development, underwriting and structuring of transactions, negotiations with potential investees, as well as oversee other team members working on the investment process. The VP will also help with presenting to executive management and managing existing investments. Finally, the VP will support IDF fundraising activities and as applicable help with the development and creation of new products and future equity investment opportunities. Specifically, we are seeking a financially skilled and experienced impact investment professional who is willing to lead and take initiative but also be a team player and wear multiple hats in a small, lean, growing team.
Primary Job Functions
- Help with investment pipeline generation.
- Oversee equity underwriting process; review (and craft as necessary) equity investment memos; present to executive leadership, investment committee review and approval; manage other team members in this process to deadlines
- Structure equity investment transactions
- Work with legal counsel on deal documentation
- Negotiate with and manage relationships with investees.
- Manage relationships with third party vendors and consultants.
- Lead investment closing process.
- Oversee portfolio management of closed investments.
- Communicate with investors as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with other departments within TruFund.
- Represent TruCapital in partnership meetings with external funders and stakeholders which may include presenting formal pitches
- Create and update the required financial management and reporting infrastructure as necessary.
- Review fund financial statements and oversee fund audit, including fund valuation, as necessary.
- Attend industry events and represent TruFund/Impact Developers Fund
- Act as a mentor to other team members and as role model
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Prior experience underwriting and managing enterprise-level equity investment structures required; formally credit trained or ability to underwrite and manage debt structures preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years in commercial banking, equity investments, commercial real estate, real estate private equity, affordable housing finance agencies, community development or social impact investing
- Strong track record in affordable housing sector (either lending and/or tax credit syndication) along with strong relationship building skills; familiarity with LIHTC structures preferred.
- Familiarity with fund-level financial review/working with third-party auditors.
- Prior experience helping raise capital and interacting with investors preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters in Public Administration, Management, Business Administration, Finance or Real Estate preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills required
- Strong attention to detail and expertise with Microsoft Office required
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems.
- Capacity to work independently and motivation to achieve goals with minimal supervision is required.
- Prior experience managing team members.
- Successful experience fostering an inclusive environment working effectively with persons from diverse cultural, social, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Commitment to and experience in impact equity, real estate and or social impact investing
- Ability to work effectively in a hybrid and/or remote work environment.
Salary Range: $135,000-165,000 (+ ability to participate in annual bonus)
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. The position will be subject to adhoc request as needed.
TruFund Financial Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and E-Verify Employer