About Tides !
Tides is a nonprofit and philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing social justice. We work across the social sector to shift power to leaders, communities of color, and other historically excluded groups who face systemic barriers. Applying our equity-centered lens and leveraging our vast network of changemakers, we work to strengthen the impact of our partners by offering services like fiscal sponsorship, donor advised funds, impact investing, and grantmaking. For more information, please visit www.tides.org .
Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Director Impact Investing is responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing a comprehensive mission-aligned impact investment strategy for Tides. The position plays a critical leadership role in Tides achieving its impact goal by aligning its $1.2B in assets to create transformative change through the power of impact investing.
This role offers a unique opportunity to create and implement a robust impact investing model that will catalyse partners to shift and align our assets with Tides’ new impact goal. In doing so, the Senior Director, Impact Investing will help Tides influence donors and doers across our ecosystem to shift power and resources to underserved communities.
This role supports the vision, as well as the professional and lived experience, to oversee the strategy, implementation, and ongoing management of this investment program.
What you will do:
Develop an overall investment framework to align Tides’ assets to its financial and impact goals.
- Own, execute, and monitor Tides’ and separate donor-advised portfolios’ Investment Policy Statement(s). Lead, oversee, and make specific recommendations for long-term strategic asset allocation, balancing risk, and return.
- Establish and maintain relationships with colleagues within the investment community to represent Tides in the ecosystem, stay current on impact investing trends, and participate in opportunities for ongoing professional development.
- Work with our partnerships teams to develop new initiatives to increase the alignment of partner funds towards impact and to participate in partner meetings as needed.
- Select, manage, and oversee external investment consultants / advisors, fund managers, and vendors who can implement robust impact-aligned investment portfolios.
- Develop a framework and resource plan for the stewardship of separately managed donor and partner fund accounts, including the investment review, investment recommendations, asset allocation analysis, due diligence, valuation, oversight and partner relations support as needed.
- Lead proactive treasury / cash management with the CFO and Finance teams within Tides. Balance investment and operational risks, ensuring sufficient operational liquidity across all Tides’ entities.
- Oversee Tides’ investment operations, including investment decision-making, portfolio execution, funds transfers, compliance, risk management, and performance reporting. Develop a system of vendors, internal Tides’ teams, and technology platforms to create user-centric operational excellence.
Monitoring, Management and Governance
- Oversee Tides’ internal investment performance reporting, including the development of a holistic framework to assess financial and impact returns. Regularly review investment performance with Tides’ CFO and leadership team. Manage performance attribution analysis, including the monitoring and analysis of the performance against benchmarks.
- Revise and continuously review Tides’ impact investment strategy and performance with Tides’ CFO, Executive team, Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Ensure Tides’ investment program is aligned with Tides’ annual audit and Enterprise Risk Management. Perform annual review of investments for audit disclosure and provide valuation methodology and materials. Procure and oversee external resources for independent valuation of investments when needed.
- Be a proactive member of the Retirement Committee to ensure compliance oversight of Tides’ retirement program, robust investment offerings, excellent service delivery, and diligent approval of investment funds.
- As a member of Tides’ senior leadership team, demonstrate Tides’ commitment to an engaged culture of performance, by investing deeply in leading, inspiring and developing direct reports and team members. Maintain opportunities for staff development, create career paths for team members, promote a learning environment; actively promote JEDI as a core value.
- Effectively c communicate and interpret quantitative results in writing, graphically, and verbally for staff and management at all levels throughout the organization in addition to partners and donors. Provide investment commentary and conduct targeted analyses to support investor reports and communications, and support preparation of marketing materials.
What you will bring:
- Deep understanding of fiduciary, investment management, portfolio planning, and impact investing disciplines, particularly in how they can contribute to Tides’ impact goal of racial equity and shifting power. Broad understanding of and passion for global investment markets and knowledge of all asset classes (equities, fixed income, and alternatives – private equity, venture capital, real estate, and real assets).
- Ability to manage multi-asset class institutional portfolios through relevant community organization, financial institution, foundation, investment consulting, donor advised fund, corporate, family office, or registered investment advisor experience.
- Extensive knowledge of asset allocation and portfolio construction techniques. Advanced understanding of investment decision-making and manager selection / oversight processes. Understanding of fair value measurement and due diligence of unconventional assets.
- Strong verbal, written communication, and presentation skills. Demonstrated success communicating with executive teams, boards, and partners. Ability to develop and effectively present investment concepts to a range of audiences.
- Commitment to embracing and valuing justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences.
- Excellent leader of people with the ability to attract, recruit and develop top talent for a national hybrid organization that recently entered into our first collective bargaining agreement. Able to delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance against goals.
- High degree of integrity, discretion, professionalism, and accountability to achieve quality results. Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgement. Ability to learn quickly; able to flex and/or pivot when needed and operate effectively in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
Education & Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in roles that are aligned with the requirements of this position.
- Advanced degree or equivalent years of related work experience can be substituted for a college degree.
- Certification(s) (e.g., CFA, MBA, CAIA, CPA) and/or evidence of pursuit of expertise.
- Experience managing, investment advisors, investment managers, and vendors.
- Knowledge and experience of portfolio management services and operations with impact-aligned portfolios with registered investment advisors, donor advised funds, community foundations, investment managers, or equivalent environments is a plus.
- Proven experience building and maintaining effective relationship network with stakeholders, including funding partners, thought leaders, and investment advisors / managers.
- Experienced in investment operations, custody services, investment accounting, financial / impact performance reporting, and trading infrastructure.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose – while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role ranges from $148,594 to $222,870 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate’s experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling, and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion, and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.