Join our team
The $100 million TELUS Pollinator Fund for Good is one of the world’s largest corporate social impact funds, making early stage investments into for-profit companies and founders committed to driving social innovation. The Pollinator Fund is an extension of TELUS’ long-standing commitment to leveraging the power of technology to drive positive social and environmental outcomes, which will shape the future for all Canadians.
Pollinator has been moving quickly since launching just over two years ago. We have a growing portfolio of 26 companies led by ambitious and mission driven founders. We are a strong team of high-performing, collaborative, pun-loving individuals each with a strong sense of curiosity and deep commitment to impact.
We are hiring for a Principal to join our deal team. This is a key function responsible for sourcing, investment analysis, and investment management of our fund.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As part of the TELUS Pollinator Fund, you will support the next generation of socially innovative businesses. As a member of the investment team, you will work with the team to develop and refine the investment theses based on the Fund’s strategy. You will support the full lifecycle of investment deal activities, from identifying and sourcing potential investments, through due diligence and deal execution, all through a dual-lens of profit and impact.
This is a unique opportunity to join the TELUS Pollinator Fund and represents a dynamic opportunity to join a high-performing, collaborative team that is passionate about furthering TELUS’ social capitalism mandate and growing the impact investing ecosystem.
- Leverage your strong relationships within the startup ecosystem, impact investors, incubators, accelerators, and entrepreneurs to source investment opportunities
- Act as an strong ambassador for the Pollinator Fund and build networks in the investment community
- Support the full investment process including
- Conducting due diligence for both new and existing investment opportunities assessing market, financial, impact, team and other key factors that will drive business and impact returns and exit strategies
- Review and make recommendations on investment agreements
- Support close of investments including legal and funding process
- Produce high quality, succinct investment memos and support investment recommendations to investment committee and other key stakeholders
- Develop and maintain appropriate subject matter expertise and remain current on business trends in industries and markets relevant to Pollinator’s impact areas
Portfolio Management & Support:
- Assist the team in managing positive, ongoing relationships with executives of portfolio companies, and maintaining communications in a timely manner
- Responsible for investment monitoring, including acting as a board observer and proactive engagement on key business issues
- Work closely with Pollinator Fund’s Platform services team to deliver on unique value addition to portfolio companies
- Monitor the portfolio’s performance, using benchmarks and forecast models
- Actively support impact measurement, management, and monitoring and advance Pollinator’s leadership in impact management
- Support Pollinator’s marketing and communications activities
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of experience in supporting transactions in private company investments and/or deal execution management in early stage venture capital or investment banking.
- Strong preference of experience in the health, agriculture, cleantech and/or edtech investment sectors
- Demonstrated depth of operational and financial analysis skills, with ability in advanced Excel modeling using a driver-based methodology
- Strong presentation and communication skills (with experience interacting with senior leaders in both large and small organizations)
- Excellent relationship management and collaboration skills including the ability to collaborate effectively in situations without formal influence & across geographies
- Experience in technical, financial and management evaluation as part of investment due diligence and reporting
- Experience in impact management and reporting an asset
- CPA designation(s), MBA degree and/or a CFA an asset
You will be successful if you have the following:
- Demonstrated passion for solving challenging social and environmental problems and desire to create sustainable change
- Track record and experience working with or in startups and impact investment ecosystem
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, where objectives must be met within tight deadlines
- Willingness to wear multiple hats and support fellow team members, as needed
- Superior relationship management and collaboration skills including the ability to collaborate effectively in situations without formal influence and across geographies
- Proven ability to coordinate multiple, simultaneous projects and initiatives in the portfolio and work within an environment of rapid change and evolving priorities
- Entrepreneurial spirit which will drive passionate ownership, process improvement and responsibility for the portfolio of investments
- Strong team values, self-starter and collaborator
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized persons tend to only apply when they check every box. So, if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
The TELUS Pollinator Fund for Good provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.