About the role: This is an exciting opportunity to work within Sustainalytics’ dynamic Stewardship Team and contribute to building a more sustainable global economy. The role will be focused on advancing leading corporate governance practices through dialogue and extended engagement with large multinational companies.
The role blends research and analysis, with company, client, and other stakeholder engagement, whilst providing written and oral updates on progress to clients.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled communicator with a deep knowledge of corporate governance, sustainable business and investment stewardship. The candidate will have a good understanding of the material ESG issues faced by companies in key sectors. You will join a seasoned team of stewardship practitioners and work within a vibrant and collaborative environment that supports ongoing learning and development.
Sustainalytics’ Stewardship team consists of around 40 individuals across numerous ESG disciplines who support clients in meeting their responsible investment objectives and facilitate active ownership strategies through engagement dialogue, proxy voting and investor communications. Our services are delivered through a number of engagement programs covering material risks, global standards/norms and impact.
- On behalf of our institutional investor clients, identify leading and lagging corporate governance practices at investee companies across several sectors.
- Undertake engagement with selected companies, through email, conference calls, telephone calls, and face-to-face meetings, on specific aspects of corporate governance – such as board oversight, diversity in leadership and remuneration practices – with a particular emphasis on the ESG challenges facing businesses.
- Track and understand regulatory developments, as well as industry and investor initiatives that shape corporate accountability across markets.
- Research and develop strategies to engage with company representatives (including senior executives and board members) and relevant stakeholders to push for a meaningful change.
- Contribute to the development of intellectual capital and thought leadership through report-writing and public-facing activities.
- Work closely with Sustainalytics’ Commercial Engagement Team and Client Relations team to answer client enquiries and ensure a high degree of client satisfaction.
- Engage with stakeholders both internally and externally, to ensure that the program continues to develop to meet client expectations.
- Degree in a related discipline.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in investor relations, responsible investing, law, finance, regulatory oversight, consulting or academia.
- Experience in dealing with large-cap companies and/or institutional investors, in an international context.
- Deep knowledge of corporate governance. Expertise in executive remuneration practices would be particularly attractive.
Skills & Competencies
- Self-motivated and target-driven, with the ability to work alone and drive engagement to agreed change objectives.
- Ability to establish dialogues with companies’ Investor Relations and/or Sustainability staff and to interact convincingly with both engagement companies and investors.
- Ability to work across cultures.
- Service-minded attitude and the ability to serve as a trusted advisor to clients and client advisors.
- Excellent research and analytical capabilities.
- Highly professional presentation skills (both in spoken and written formats).
- Ability to handle a variety of responsibilities and to deliver efficiently by prioritizing tasks.
- Creative thinking and problem-solving.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Alignment with Sustainalytics’ mission, vision, and values.
Sustainalytics is a Morningstar company dedicated to responsible investment with over 25 years’ experience in ESG research and ratings. With an extensive client base across asset managers, asset owners and investment banks, our mission is to provide the insights required for investors and companies to make more informed decisions that lead to a more just and sustainable global economy.
As Morningstar’s ESG center of excellence we are responsible for driving both the commercial success and innovation of its ESG products as well as its overall ESG strategy.
For more information, visit www.sustainalytics.com