Website Morgan Stanley
Bank | Asset Manager
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Company’s Global Sustainable Finance Group (“GSF”) aims to drive the growth of sustainable investing through ongoing development of products and solutions, economic analysis, thought leadership and capacity building initiatives.
The EMEA GSF team leverages the group’s global experience and capabilities to drive regional sustainable finance strategy, coordination and execution across Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
The team is seeking an EMEA Climate Specialist to help implement our integrated, crosscutting approach to climate change across Morgan Stanley’s EMEA businesses. This person will work closely with senior leaders of the Global Sustainable Finance team in London and New York to help advance Morgan Stanley’s climate change strategy by providing needed support across strategy development, research and analysis, project management, document/presentation development and report writing.
This role is designed to provide broad-based support in EMEA for strategic initiatives led by the Global Sustainable Finance’s Climate Team. Key tasks include but are not limited to:
- Providing high-quality technical qualitative and quantitative research and analysis that strategically informs and supports the development and/or execution of various climate projects related to the implementation of our net-zero financed emissions targets. Topics may include, but are not limited to, peer benchmarking on climate policies and best practices, regulatory and policy issues and impacts, investor and stakeholder perspectives on net-zero financed emissions, and other research and analysis on climate issues as needed.
- Supporting and actively contributing to the development and execution of multi-year climate strategy for the firm, in partnership with business units and other functions, including the development of relevant frameworks, methodologies, and policies
- Synthesizing various internal and external insights, frameworks, strategies and other information into executive-ready slides and other deliverables.
- Supporting engagement with external climate and net-zero related initiatives such as the Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials (PCAF), Task for on Climate Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD), Net-Zero Banking Alliance (NZBA), Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net-Zero (GFANZ), International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) and more.
- Helping to execute the Firm’s climate change strategy through integration into regional and local risk processes, business opportunities, operations, reporting and stakeholder engagement.
- Assisting with the firm’s external reporting around climate change and sustainability by staying abreast of evolving industry best practices, disclosure regulations and policy, and peer benchmarking, and contributing to the writing of our reports and supporting research and analysis.
- Assisting in responding to external requests for firm information on climate and sustainability across various stakeholders, as needed.
- Assisting the engagement with external stakeholders, such as NGOs, on the topic of climate change, including synthesizing insights from external stakeholders and their publications into takeaways for key firm functions
- Supporting GSFs Products and Solutions team, as appropriate, with the development of climate-related solutions for the firm’s clients
- Supporting Institute for Sustainable Investing to execute an ongoing series of climate-related thought leadership pieces that support the market for sustainable finance by providing needed research and potential drafting of reports.
- Must have strong project management skills and excellent business writing and presentation development skills for a senior executive audience.
- Extensive professional experience, including a strong foundation in business, finance, and/or related fields, evidenced by a relevant degree, appropriate industry qualification and/or relevant work experience in finance and/or a market-oriented NGO/third sector or public sector organization
- The ideal candidate will have experience at the intersection of climate and the private sector and understand how European and global financial market participants are identifying and assessing climate risks and opportunities.
- The candidate should ideally have experience and/or familiarity with broad climate and sustainability concepts and topics (e.g., transition and physical climate risks, carbon accounting, sustainability reporting, climate science, scenario analysis and stress testing, climate policy and regulations) as well as related methodologies and initiatives/orgs (TCFD, SASB, PCAF, GHGP, NZBA/GFANZ, IFRS/ISSB, etc.).
- Other beneficial, demonstrated skills and experience include:
- Ability to interpret information and quickly translate into recommendations
- Analytic, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with relevant climate change issues in both a scientific and corporate context
- Understanding of voluntary carbon markets and related market infrastructure and regulation
- Familiarity with the landscape of climate and financial regulatory bodies in EMEA (e.g., PRA, ECB, etc.),
- Familiarity with carbon-intensive sectors (e.g., energy, autos, power, mining) and related decarbonization pathways and emissions-reductions solutions
- A positive attitude and intellectual curiosity to learn new concepts, information, and skills
- Strong business audience communications skills both written and verbally; ability to influence people and engage with internal/external stakeholders.
- Familiarity with basic Microsoft office software, (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and ideally experience with drafting high-quality PPT presentation Slides
- Ability to operate collaboratively in a team culture
- Quantitative analytical and financial analysis skills with strong attention to detail
- Tenacity, passion, and drive for results
- Effective multi-tasker, with ability to manage stakeholders and prioritize work with support from senior team members
- Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing, and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Jul 5, 2022
Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-London
Global Sustainable Finance