Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a trailblazing legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the 1.8 billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For more than 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 200 partners in 63 countries. More at accion.org
About Venture Lab
Accion Venture Lab is a leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved, catalyzing innovation in inclusive fintech and improving the way financial services are delivered to underserved consumer and small businesses around the world. We invest capital in and provide support to innovative, scalable fintech startups that improve the reach, quality, and affordability of financial services for the underserved. Venture Lab is a part of Accion, a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. Created in 2012 and backed by commercial and impact investors since the launch of its third-party fund in 2019, Accion Venture Lab has deployed over US$44 million across 62 early-stage startups that operate in 39 countries worldwide.
We have successfully delivered returns above benchmarks while staying true to our mission. We have done so by employing a rigorous sourcing and diligence process, investing in companies poised to take advantage of the investment themes we believe will be successful in the future, and by adding value in the form of strategic and operational support through our governance and portfolio engagement functions. Most importantly, we have created a model of social impact that many in our industry look to emulate. Since inception, our companies have helped bring financial services to 52 million underserved consumers and small businesses and they have, since our investment, gone on to raise nearly $1.5B in further capital to grow and scale.
Accion Venture Lab seeks a 2023 Summer Investment Associate, preferably based in Washington, DC. The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting/management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on live deals and will work with the team to define a meaningful project and deliverable (e.g., sector report, market overview) to complete during the internship period.
The minimum length of the program is 10 weeks, with a target start date of June 1, 2023.
- Deal screening and investments: Support team on the identification and assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreens on companies, conducting background research, performing financial and strategy analysis, and collecting /analyzing diligence documents.
- Fund operations and strategy: Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices across the portfolio, and documenting learnings to be shared within Accion and externally.
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including public policy, international development, or international relations degrees)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors, and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery model
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging market
- Experience working abroad
- Relevant experience in financial services, management consulting and/or VC/PE investing
- Language skills beyond English