Website StepStone Group
StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $570 billion of total capital allocations, including $134 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone is currently seeking candidates who are specialists in ESG and have excellent quantitative, qualitative and interpersonal skills for a Principal position on StepStone’s Responsible Investment Team. The position will work closely with the Head of Responsible Investment to drive strategic initiatives that further ESG integration across StepStone’s platform.
The Principal will report to the Global Head of Responsible Investment and will coordinate cross-functionally to develop and implement initiatives that deepen StepStone’s commitment to ESG across StepStone’s asset classes, spanning private equity, private debt, real estate, and infrastructure and real assets. This includes communicating our RI capabilities to clients, representing StepStone on external working groups, furthering our team’s understanding of ESG through internal trainings, and deepening StepStone’s ESG data capabilities including reporting solutions for clients.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work closely with StepStone’s Head of Responsible Investment and other members of StepStone’s Responsible Investment team to support the Firm’s ESG initiatives
- Coordinate with Responsible Investment Workgroups to further ESG initiatives, including supporting engagements with GPs and portfolio companies and improving due diligence processes
- Support Head of Responsible Investment in maintaining a unified ESG approach across asset classes, including related disclosures in legal and marketing documents, etc.
- Serve as go-to resource for ESG queries from StepStone’s Research team, assisting with critical incident response and other ESG questions that arise during due diligence and post-investment
- Coordinate with StepStone’s Portfolio Analytics and Reporting, Data Science and Engineering teams to improve the quality of ESG data and deliver enhanced ESG reporting services for clients
- Deliver presentations on StepStone’s RI capabilities and review requests for information by current and prospective clients
- Represent StepStone on various industry working groups and assess StepStone’s participation in other industry initiatives
- Monitor global ESG and impact trends, providing insights to leadership and developing and delivering training to internal colleagues
- Develop other impact / ESG related collateral – whitepapers, podcasts, webinars
- Ability to work across international offices
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- 10+ years of ESG, sustainability, private equity, consulting, or other relevant experience
- BA/BS in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Environmental Studies, Political Science, International Relations or equivalent
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Strong knowledge of key ESG issues (climate change, diversity, human rights, etc.) and leading ESG and impact frameworks (UN PRI, TCFD, SASB, UN SDGs, IMP, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent analytical skills; experience developing ESG reporting a plus
- Meticulous attention to detail
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel
- Flexibility—StepStone is a dynamic and entrepreneurial organization; all professionals are expected to perform multiple functions
- Promote and demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Masters and/or CFA or CAIA a plus, but not required
- Evidence of ESG certification (e.g. SASB FSA credential, CFA ESG Investing, etc.), but not required
Working out of 24 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
Developing People at StepStone