Website South Pole
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Managing Consultant in Sustainable Finance is to ensure the timely delivery of high quality consultancy advice to international, regional and local clients on sustainability topics for the financial sector. You will be accountable for the development and overall management of opportunities and proposals for financial sector clients, as well as the implementation of projects, for which you will supervise small project teams.
You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to business
development activities in the region as well as the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international and regional clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- Develop proposals for the financial sector clients on topics including financed emissions, climate disclosure, net zero commitments and targets in collaboration with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in developing proposals and implementing advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support the practice team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Topics of engagement may include: carbon accounting of financial instruments (financed emissions and insurance-associated emissions), climate-related risks and opportunities, climate related disclosure for financial institutions (TCFD, CDP, GRI), regulatory requirements (SEC, EU Taxonomy) and net zero commitments and Science Based Targets for financial institutions
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in finance, economics or a sustainability related field including but not limited to Finance, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Political Sciences, Data Science, Engineering, Applied Math, or related disciplines
- Relevant knowledge of financial markets (actors, asset classes, stakeholders), climate regulation, carbon markets and sustainability, specially on the development of decarbonisation strategies
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum of 6 years) in sustainability consulting, impact investing, asset management or other related fields of expertise
- Industry-relevant connections, with a substantial network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as retail And commercial banks, investment banks, asset managers and insurance firms, particularly in North America
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Advanced stakeholder and client management skills
- Sound understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in German, French or Spanish is a plus
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Excellent quantitative, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Google Suite applications
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Advanced prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.