Website Social Finance
Social Finance is a national impact finance and advisory nonprofit. We work with the public, private, and social sectors to create partnerships and investments that measurably improve lives. Since our founding in 2011, we have mobilized $350 million in new investments designed to help people and communities realize improved outcomes in education, economic mobility, health, and housing.
We are driven by the belief that social and economic systems should enable all people to thrive, and the conviction that we can create the most meaningful and measurable change in our communities when governments and markets work together. Our organization is built upon five core values: people, performance, integrity, collaboration, and inclusion.
We work across three practice areas: Impact Investing, Impact Advisory, and Field Building. Through our Impact Investing portfolio, we design, launch, and manage impact-first investments and innovative financing solutions that generate positive outcomes for people and communities. In our Impact Advisory practice, we work alongside impact-focused leaders to implement data-driven practices that deliver better outcomes. And in our Field Building work, we share firsthand learnings and best practices to catalyze social impact in the field. We continually challenge ourselves and our partners to use funding and data in innovative ways to create lasting impact.
The composition of the Director’s portfolio will be fluid and subject to change according to opportunities. Our ideal candidate will bring experience in hospital strategy, hospital budgeting, or hospital workforce development needs and strategies. Core impact investing responsibilities may include the following:
Director may be responsible for the following:
- Marketing Social Finance and its offerings to potential partners
- Identifying opportunities to deploy innovative financing structures to support measurable social progress
- Overseeing Impact Investing transaction teams and collaborating with investors, partners and clients to identify social and financial outcomes, develop appropriate financing or investment structures, develop and implement management and governance structures as needed, and negotiate and execute impact investing transactions
Deploying innovative capital structures with organizations that are pushing the boundaries of social change requires an active partnership throughout the life of an investment relationship. The Director will work with transaction and broader organizational teammates, as well with investors, service providers, and other external partners as needed, to deliver post-close impact and financial management and monitoring activities across various investments.
Specific activities may include:
- Managing multiple stakeholders to ensure financial and impact outcomes are achieved
- Developing and implementing impact and financial outcome monitoring and reporting systems
- Managing ongoing communications with investors, providing project updates and fielding questions and requests as needed
In addition to the Director’s Impact Investing responsibilities, each Social Finance Director serves on the firm’s management team and contributes to the building and development of staff, the firm, and the field. These responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating across the firm to support business development and fundraising efforts
- Supporting firm’s talent management efforts via recruiting, coaching, goal setting, mentoring, and ongoing performance management
- Serving on the firm’s Management Team
- Supporting internal capacity building efforts
- Representing the firm in public forums and/or contributing to various publications
We are searching for flexible professionals who enjoy solving problems and aim to achieve social impact at scale. Candidates for this role will have:
- 5 to 7 years of experience working in a health system (e.g., hospital or long-term care setting) with professional experiences in health system organizational strategy / planning and / or financial management and budgeting. Within these roles, minimally an understanding of, and preferred, experience with healthcare workforce strategy development
- Ability to understand and connect the business drivers of health system management to health system workforce strategies and investments
- Understanding of or experience in the range of workforce strategies that health systems pursue to address workforce challenges and how they can accrue financial and clinical benefit to the health system
- Knowledge of or experience with how to create and pitch an investment opportunity ideally in healthcare workforce for outside support (public or private investments and / or philanthropic support)
- Demonstrated experience with financial modeling preferred; interest and comfort in coaching more junior staff to learn these skills
- Demonstrated interest in at least one impact issue area through direct professional experience, or through volunteering, board role, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with working across multiple priorities simultaneously
- Comfort in a team-based and fast-changing environment
- An entrepreneurial approach to work and excitement about innovations that can catalyze large scale system improvements
- Experience managing and developing direct reports
- Commitment to enhancing a team culture of inclusion, belonging and equity
- Experience in or with the systems we seek to impact a plus
At Social Finance, we strive to deliver a benefits program that will enhance our overall value proposition to employees. Our current benefit offerings include:
- Comprehensive health care coverage: medical, dental and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; Employee Healthy Actions programs and more
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Short-term, long-term and life insurance policies
- Commuter benefits and cell phone reimbursements
- Hybrid work model (in office three days per week, work from home two days per week and on an ad-hoc basis as needed)
- Dedicated budgets for team building and employee recognition
- Annual budget for external professional development opportunities
- Mentorship and onboarding programs
- Collaborative and energizing workspaces in downtown Boston, San Francisco, Austin and Washington, D.C.; establishing office in NYC in late 2022
- Paid vacation and paid holidays (with 12/24-1/1 off every year)
- Paid parental leave
- A truly stellar team of high performing, values-driven and fun (!) professionals
Social Finance uses a lockstep compensation model for purposes of equity and transparency – we strive for everyone coming in at a given level to be paid equitably. For this position, at the Director level, the starting base salary is $140,000; however, during the interview process, we will take into account a candidate’s full work experience and may adjust the job title, and commensurate starting salary, as appropriate. At this level, employees receive an automatic $5,000 adjustment annually and a bonus of 5-10%.
Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.
Applicants must be permanently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Please note that, at this time, to be in-person at a Social Finance office, client location or Social Finance-sponsored event, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receiving a booster shot.
Social Finance, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, citizenship, ancestry, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, military status, status as a protected veteran, genetic information or any other legally protected status.