Sagana is a global impact investing advisory firm working to unleash the potential of people, capital, and business to create a better future for all. We use our impact investing expertise to find, invest in and grow purpose-driven companies that combine attractive financial returns with positive social and environmental impact. Our global experience lets us see the bigger picture and our focus on specific sectors allows us to deeply understand the areas we operate in. To learn more about how we think, what we believe and what sets us apart, check out our video: Sagana – Unleashing Potential
Title: Investment Manager (Climate Tech or Ag/Food)
Report To: Founding Partner
Location: Europe or India (remote)
We are hiring an investment professional, who has experience in implementing venture capital/private equity deals with high positive impact and attractive financial returns and can add value to portfolio management. At Sagana Capital, we invest in pre-Series A – Series C rounds and funds with a significant social/environmental impact. We invest mainly on behalf of large, global families across topic areas including climate tech, energy transition, synthetic biology, sustainable fashion, food & agriculture, plastics & recycling, and healthcare & life sciences.
We are searching for a confident investment professional who combines the analytic and problem-solving skills of a seasoned consultant, the scrappiness and business-building skills of an entrepreneur, the investment skills of a venture capital professional, the multi-culture and global-mindedness of an international manager, and the relationship-building skills of a salesperson. If this is you, let’s talk!
Our ideal candidate is interested in leveraging investment expertise in a purpose-driven career and is willing to engage hands-on in diligence and portfolio management and sees him/herself as a growth coach to leadership teams.
We are actively creating a workplace where authentic communication, collaboration and inclusion enable people to become their best selves both personally and professionally while having a career with purpose and impact.
- Guide due diligence and portfolio management on direct deals and funds
- Supervise multiple projects or workstreams to ensure high-quality on-time delivery
- Investment sourcing: Take the lead in identifying and developing new investment opportunities in thematic areas that align with our values, clients and approach
- Deal execution: Lead investment opportunities through various stages of the investment process, including initial screening, presentation to the Sagana internal investment committee, detailed business and financial due diligence, execution and closure
- Reporting and client engagement: Prepare, present and maintain detailed investment documentation for our clients on a quarterly basis
- Portfolio management: Constantly aim to increase the positive impact of our portfolio companies by adding value in critical areas of strategy, operations, business development, finance, organizational building and governance
- Impact management: Understand and track key metrics to monitor the progress being made by portfolio organizations on the goals around social, environmental and financial returns
- Effectively develop and handle relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
Skills and Experience:
At least 5 years of relevant work experience with at least 2 years as an investment professional, with a focus on financial and business due diligence in one of our core thematic themes (Ag/Food or Climate Tech).
- You are skilled at client service and can speak confidently about impact investing.
- Thought leadership in Sagana’s thematic areas - food & agriculture or climate tech
- Proven investment experience with guiding at least 4 deals (preferable Series A, B and C)
- Proven experience providing support to businesses at multiple levels including operations, strategy and governance, having worked with a variety of portfolio companies or having worked directly in a key operating role within an organization. Sector knowledge in specific thematic areas will be an added advantage.
- Intuitive understanding of growth-stage business models and different entrepreneurial styles. An innate ability to build solid working relationships with entrepreneurs and a variety of stakeholders that form their eco-system, such as banks/finance organizations, sector experts and policymakers
- High-quality interpersonal skills, with an ability to work well within an intercultural, diverse team, effectively interact with potential partners from business and non-profit backgrounds as well as with a variety of people in the field
- Deep practical understanding of doing business in different cultures, coupled with a good global network in business, policy and finance circles.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or a good entrepreneurial spirit. You get things done and dive deep into the work when necessary. You like to build new ventures.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders such as entrepreneurs, investors, sector experts and policymakers. Experience with families and family offices.
- Good written and oral communication skills with the ability to formulate and present analysis and recommendations in a clear and concise manner. You value open, direct, and regular communication.
- Commitment to the highest quality of work with solid attention to detail and follow-through. You hold yourself and your teammates to high-quality standards.
- Experience working with global multi-cultural teams across various time zones. You are a global citizen.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of other languages is an added advantage.
Our shared values ground us in who we are and guide us on our path forward:
- Courage – Is what empowers us to think differently, ask difficult questions, speak our minds, act on what we believe in and find opportunities that others don’t always see
- Authenticity – Is what guides us to bring our whole selves to our endeavours and not hide behind a mask. It brings out our honesty, creativity and enthusiasm that allows us to use our full potential in delivering our work
- Respect – Is the foundation of all relationships – with ourselves, our clients and partners, our colleagues, our communities and our planet
- Responsibility – Is what we take for the world in which we live. We hold ourselves accountable for the decisions we make and the actions we take as individuals and as a company every day
- Excellence – We are committed to being our best. Because creating a better future takes more than good intentions
We are actively creating a workplace where authentic communication, collaboration, and inclusion enable people to become their best selves both personally and professionally while having a career with purpose and impact.
Powered by Webbtree