We’re one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with CAD$243.7 billion of net assets as at March 31, 2023.
We invest funds for the pension plans of the federal public service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force. Headquartered in Ottawa, PSP Investments has its principal business office in Montréal and offices in New York, London and Hong Kong.
Capturing and leading complex global investments requires us to work as one to seize valuable opportunities, in close collaboration with some of the world’s top companies. At PSP, you’ll join a team of motivated and engaged professionals, dedicated to propelling our organization further than ever before.
In Budget 2023, the Government of Canada announced that PSP Investments would act as the independent and exclusive investment manager for the Canada Growth Fund (CGF) a $15 billion investment vehicle that was established to support the growth of Canada’s clean economy. As the investment manager of CGF, PSP Investments will provide the full suite of investment management services to CGF, covering the entire investment and asset management lifecycle.
EXPERIENCE THE EDGE
At PSP, we encourage our employees to grow, forge powerful relationships, contribute and fuel inspired investment launchpads. We are committed to a culture that fosters collaboration and allows us to think beyond, in an interconnected way. We advocate for our employees to speak-up, learn, experiment, share, and be part of an inclusive work environment where diversity is embraced.
Our Canada Growth Fund Investment Management team is currently seeking a Director, Investments – Canada Growth Fund Investment Management, to work out of our Montreal office.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Canada Growth Fund Investment Management (CGFIM) Team is a new team created within PSP to manage the $15bn Canada Growth Fund. CGF’s mandate is to catalyze substantial private sector investment in Canadian low-carbon projects, technologies, businesses, and supply chains by deploying innovative funding structures that help mitigate certain risks and uncertainties inherent to investing in the low-carbon economy. CGF will be investing in Canadian projects and companies across themes such as carbon capture, hydrogen, renewable natural gas, clean technology, and critical minerals.
Size of team:
The team currently consists of approximately 14 professionals and is expected to grow to support the execution of CGF’s mandate.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
As a Director, Investments – Canada Growth Fund Investment Management, you will:
Be actively participating in the energy transition in Canada, deploying and managing CGF’s capital, shaping strategy and leading investments into emerging decarbonization sectors and technologies.
- Responsibilities for leading the execution and management of investments with expectation to focus on projects initially
- Involvement in the design of strategy by sector/industry
- Collaborating closely with senior members of the team and managing junior team members
- Actively contribute to team management and team development of team members
- Monitor investments, execute value creation/monitoring plans and assist in the disposition of portfolio investments as required (may involve taking board seats)
- Build and manage relationships with key internal (risk, tax, legal, HR) and external stakeholders
- Involvement in sourcing and originating deal flow by interacting with external partners
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Being a well-rounded investor, with a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience within conventional energy, renewable energy, clean-tech investing and/or investment banking/corporate finance/transaction services
- Execution skills across business development, investment analysis, structuring and negotiating complex transactions, due diligence (commercial, financial, strategic, operational, legal)
- Intellectually curiosity and strong analytical skills
- Track record of influencing and engaging with boards and senior management teams
- Highly collegial and collaborative and comfortable with shared decision-making processes
- Strong written and verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Relevant education
- Experience in impact investing would be an asset but not required
- Good communications skills in English and French (or willingness to learn)
(Regular interactions in English with investment partners based outside of Quebec Example: peers, bankers, brokerage firms, etc. and PSP employees in our offices in Hong Kong, London and New York, and interactions in French with employees in our local offices in Montreal and Ottawa)
We offer a tailored employee experience and competitive total rewards and benefits package* designed to attract and retain global diverse talent, reward performance, and reinforce business strategies and priorities. Beyond salary and incentive pay eligibility, you have access to:
- Investment in career development
- Comprehensive group insurance plans
- Unlimited access to virtual healthcare services and wellness programs
- Competitive pension plans
- Vacation days available on day one with additional days on milestone service anniversaries, and summer Friday afternoons off
- Inclusive paid parental leave policy: up to 26 weeks for primary caregivers, 5 weeks for secondary caregivers
- A flexible hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and remote days based on business groups, teams, and roles
- A hybrid allowance to support any hybrid related needs
*Benefits package may vary based on your employee type.
At PSP, we aim to provide an inclusive workplace where we leverage diversity and where everyone feels valued, safe, respected and empowered to grow. As part of this leadership commitment, we strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants and strive to offer an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please let us know.
Visit us on www.investpsp.com/en/
Follow us on LinkedIn