Website PSP Investments
We’re one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers, with CAD$243.7 billion of net assets as at March 31, 2023. We invest funds for the pension plans of the federal public service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force. Headquartered in Ottawa, PSP Investments has its principal business office in Montréal and offices in New York, London and Hong Kong.
Capturing and leading complex global investments requires us to work as one to seize valuable opportunities, in close collaboration with some of the world’s top companies. At PSP, you’ll join a team of motivated and engaged professionals, dedicated to propelling our organization further than ever before.
Experience The Edge
At PSP, we encourage our employees to grow, forge powerful relationships, contribute and fuel inspired investment launchpads. We are committed to a culture that fosters collaboration and allows us to think beyond, in an interconnected way. We advocate for our employees to speak-up, learn, experiment, share, and be part of an inclusive work environment where diversity is embraced.
About The Team
Sustainable investment is an integral part of our investment approach, helping us mitigate risk, uncover opportunities to enhance long-term performance, and bring our edge. Our Sustainability and Climate Innovation group spearheads our efforts. The group helps advance our sustainability and climate strategy, oversight, capabilities, and practices; and deeply collaborates with the investment teams across public and private markets asset classes to develop our collective insight, integrate factors related to sustainability throughout our investment processes, and deliver public reporting to stakeholders. To learn more about our sustainability & climate investment activities, please consult our 2023 Sustainable Investment Report and our Climate-Related Financial Disclosure Report.
We’re seeking a Director, Active Ownership to partner with key stakeholders (internally and externally) and peers to support our active ownership strategy and engagement activities with our investee companies. As a valued member of the Sustainability and Climate Innovation group (SCI), you will report to the Senior Director, Sustainability.
About Your Role
As Director, Active Ownership, you will join the Sustainability and Climate Innovation group within the Office of our Chief Investment Officer. Your responsibilities encompass a wide range of crucial tasks to advance our commitment to sustainable investment and active ownership. In your role, you will:
- Active Ownership Strategy, Policies and Procedure enhancement: Actively participate to the development and enhancement of a comprehensive active ownership strategy, policies, and procedures, including proxy voting and engagement, in alignment with PSP Investments’ long-term investment mandate.
- Active Ownership Best Practices Expertise: Stay abreast of industry trends, regulatory developments, and best practices in investment stewardship, translating them into actionable strategies and share insights with the Sustainability and Climate Innovation team and other relevant group within PSP Investments.
- Proxy Voting Activities: Actively participate (and in some cases lead) to the execution of strategies and principles for proxy voting. This involves researching and analyzing governance and sustainability practices of portfolio companies, making informed voting decisions, including on Say-on-Climate, and engaging, in collaboration with asset classes and, as the case maybe, with third party provider and/or other investors, in dialogue with portfolio company management and boards to address concerns and advocate for better practices.
- Private Markets Engagement Activities: Support and actively participate in the execution of the engagement strategies and thematic priorities with investee companies. This involves researching and analyzing the various challenges encountered by investee companies and, in collaboration with asset classes and, where applicable, with co-investors, act on required changes. The engagement activities include those in connection with the advancement of PSP Investments’ Climate Strategy and its Transition Playbooks.
- Public Markets Engagement Activities: Support and actively participate in the execution of the engagement strategies and thematic priorities directly with investee companies or through service providers. Take an active role (and in some instances take a lead role) in investor collaboration initiatives on key active ownership initiatives, including, but not limited to, Climate Engagement Canada.
- Leadership and External Collaborations: Foster relationships with other institutional investors, proxy advisory firms, service providers, and industry associations to promote sustainable investing and shape industry standards. Support engagement activities with various stakeholders, including other institutional investors, regulators, industry groups, and NGOs, to stay informed about evolving trends and best practices in stewardship and corporate governance.
- Internal Collaboration and engagement: Collaborate with internal teams, such as legal, compliance, investment research, and asset classes, to ensure alignment and coordination of active ownership efforts across PSP Investments. Engage with asset classes and senior management on high stakes proxy voting and engagement matters.
- Sustainability-related Disclosure Activities: Drive reporting on findings and analysis focusing on financial factors including sustainability -related risks and opportunities, adhering to legal, regulatory, and fiduciary standards and expectations. Engage and collaborate to support the Principles for Responsible Investing, including supporting annual reporting assessment.
What You’ll Need
- Robust educational foundation, advanced degrees preferred (e.g., master’s degree or higher in a relevant field such as sustainability, finance, business administration, or a related discipline). Additional ESG-related certifications are a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise through seven (7) to ten (10) years of relevant sustainability-related experience in the investment ownership or management industry, with a focus on active ownership/stewardship. International experience and expertise within the financial industry is a plus.
- Expertise in developing (corporate) active ownership/stewardship strategies, establishing strategic direction, setting goals, and delivering results, and aligning with industry best practices.
- Deep understanding of sustainable investing and proxy voting principles and practices, including knowledge of relevant regulatory frameworks and reporting standards related to sustainable investing.
- Profound analytical skills and the ability to synthesize complex information to make informed decisions. Demonstrated proficiency in technology and data analytics.
- Excellent communication skills in both English and French (or a willingness to learning French if not already acquainted). This involves engaging in regular interactions in English with other institutional investors, regulators, industry groups, and NGOs, as well as PSP employees in our Hong Kong, London, and New York offices. Additionally, there will be informal interactions in French with employees in our local offices based in Montreal and Ottawa.
We offer a tailored employee experience and competitive total rewards and benefits package* designed to attract and retain global diverse talent, reward performance, and reinforce business strategies and priorities. Beyond salary and incentive pay eligibility, you have access to:
- A flexible hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and remote days based on business groups, teams, and roles
- A hybrid allowance to support any hybrid related needs
- Competitive pension plans
- Comprehensive group insurance plans
- Unlimited access to virtual healthcare services and wellness programs
- Generous and inclusive paid family leave
- Vacation days available on day one with additional days on milestone service anniversaries, and summer Friday afternoons off
- Investment in career development
- Benefits package may vary based on your employee type.
At PSP, we aim to provide an inclusive workplace where we leverage diversity and where everyone feels valued, safe, respected and empowered to grow. As part of this leadership commitment, we strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants and strive to offer an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please let us know.
Visit us on www.investpsp.com/en/
Follow us on LinkedIn