Website Wellington Management
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours.
As part of the continued expansion of our Private Investing capabilities, we are seeking to recruit a Principal for our private Climate Innovation Fund (CIF). CIF will invest in late venture- and early growth-stage companies developing solutions that mitigate and/or adapt to climate change. The CIF investment strategy spans a broad set of sectors including energy, buildings, smart cities, industrial efficiency, mobility, and food and agriculture, typically with tech-enabled applications and solutions.
The ideal candidate will partner with senior members of the team to source and diligence private companies that address climate change across a variety of subsectors. In order to optimize deal flow, the Principal will develop broad relationships within the climate related venture capital and growth investor communities. The Principal will source, track, and evaluate potential investment opportunities, conduct in-depth due diligence of select deals, and develop investment recommendations. In addition, the Principal will curate the deal flow from initial contact through exit and will assist with investment and strategic decision making. We expect this individual to leverage his or her insight and experience during the investment process, while working closely with others across our investment platform, including our Industry Research team, Climate Research team and Woodwell Climate Research Center partnership. The principal will be a key member in our founding team, fundamental in helping develop junior talent and will have a pathway for growth in the Private Climate platform.
For the ideal candidate, we can be flexible with regards to location.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion – The Principal will have a successful track record of sourcing and evaluating investments in venture and/or growth stage companies in the underlying technologies relevant to innovation, including but not limited to: SaaS, artificial intelligence/data analytics, IoT connectivity and compute, electrification, and software-enabled hardware.
- Passion for climate innovation – Strong candidates will be passionate about climate change, have an appreciation of its connection with the technological innovation occurring across sectors, and a drive to become a subject matter expert in technologies and innovations relevant for addressing climate change.
- Financial analysis – The Principal must have demonstrated superior financial modeling skills and analytical capabilities and an eagerness to apply his/her expertise in supporting transactions, including overseeing and developing associate and analyst work. An ideal Candidate would have exposure to portfolio management and follow-on financing. In addition, a successful candidate will emphasize fundamental/thematic, research-oriented, bottom-up approach to investing in private companies and the ability to implement those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach.
- Superior collaboration skills – The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Principal will build strong relationships with company management teams, industry contacts, clients and prospects as well as internally with colleagues. The ability to take risks and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others. The Principal must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction, driven by strong analysis, and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the evolution of sustainable investing, including climate impact and ESG integration.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 6 years experience with majority of time spent in a private markets’ investment role, including specific experience in venture and/or growth investing;
- Established industry relationships and network to source deal flow in relevant companies;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and to collaborate with experienced, cross-functional deal teams;
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research;
- Experience with proactive thematic outbound research and market -mapping
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature; and
- Strong academic credentials.
- Previous private company board related work, a bonus
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com.