Website Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
Reporting to the Managing Director, Sustainable Investing, this position will support the Sustainable Investing team’s work around climate change. A key focus of the role will be working on climate scenario analysis and portfolio resilience covering both transition and physical risk. The Principal will have demonstrated ability to link climate change and energy transition factors to drivers of investment risk and return, and have experience in assessing their relevance and materiality at a company and portfolio level.
The Principal is expected to be a well-rounded professional, with a thorough understanding of climate scenarios and energy transition pathways and general experience across a range of climate change, environmental, and social issues. This must be complemented by an ability to convey these concepts in a compelling manner to investment professionals.
What you’ll do
- Work with the SI team on fund-level climate change risk metrics and scenario analysis including developing the strategy for the funds approach to climate change scenario analysis
- Provide subject matter expertise to investment professionals on climate change and energy transition. This includes identification and assessment of climate related risks and opportunities, quantification of emissions and impact measurement as needed
- Keep abreast of developments in the climate change space, including policy and regulatory changes, evolving GHG and impact measurement standards, clean technology development and industry initiatives
- In partnership, undertake deep research on critical and emerging climate and energy transition topics to enhance the team and plan’s knowledge base
- Support other SI and Total Fund Management department related initiatives as required
- Develop and maintain relationships with professionals in similar roles at other pension funds, companies, policy institutes, think tanks and in academia
- Mentor and support more junior staff. May have direct reports.
- Present research to Investments teams to influence decision-making concerning climate change issues
- Application of GHG footprinting best practices to estimate portfolio company carbon footprints and model impacts on portfolio and total fund carbon footprint
What you’ll need
- Minimum 5-7 years related experience
- Minimum Bachelor, Masters preferred, degree in technical field such as engineering, climate science, environmental science or other relevant field
- CFA an asset
- Climate change or energy scenario development and analysis either in a technical or consulting capacity
- Climate change risk assessments, including physical risks and GHG footprinting
- Integrating ESG and climate change considerations in investment analysis and valuation
- Experience in dealing with ESG and climate change issues in an investor relations capacity would be an alternative to the above
- Demonstrated ability to apply judgment in determining materiality in the decision-making process
- Strong knowledge of climate change and its potential impacts and related concepts
- Technical knowledge of scenario analysis, primary models and providers, and their incorporation into decision making and strategic planning
- Familiarity with investments across public and private markets desired
- Strong written, presentation creation, and verbal communications skills that demonstrate diplomacy and persuasion, with an emphasis on the ability to communicate technical material to financial/portfolio management staff
- Ability to engage and work at various levels of the organizations
- Works well independently or as a member of a team
- Highly adaptable and flexible and open to new opportunities
- Ability to manage multiple and changing priorities
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel-based data analysis, familiarity with Power BI and data manipulation an asset
What We’re Offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers’.
How To Apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.