Website Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
An exciting opportunity to join our growing Sustainable Investing (SI) team! The Investment Associate, Total Fund Management – Sustainable Investing will support the SI team’s work on climate change initiatives, and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) integration and engagement across asset classes and industries. The Associate is an ESG generalist with climate change knowledge and experience producing greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories and decarbonization planning.
Sustainable Investing is part of Total Fund Management and supports the integration of material ESG considerations into the investment life cycle across public and private markets. We are also responsible for implementing Ontario Teachers’ Net Zero and Impact Investing strategy.
Who you’ll work with
The Associate will join one of Canada’s leading Sustainable Investing teams at a time of growth. The Associate will work with all members of the Sustainable Investing team with an emphasis on our climate change programs. They will also work with colleagues in the broader Total Fund Management department and interact on a frequent basis with investment teams and portfolio companies.
What you’ll do
- Work with broader SI team members on a range of fund-level climate change initiatives.
- Work with portfolio companies to establish decarbonization plans – will include involvement in managing RFPs, selecting consultants, evaluating recommendations and supporting implementation as needed
- Estimating portfolio company GHG emissions profiles
- Keep abreast of developments in the climate change space, including policy and regulatory changes, evolving GHG accounting standards, and industry initiatives
- Support ESG due diligence for private equity deals – desktop research, review of consultant reports, participation in meetings with deal teams and consultants
- Provide research, analytics and communication materials to support any of the evolving ESG integration, climate change and impact strategies
- Support other SI- and TFM-related initiates as the need arises.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to junior staff.
- Present research and analysis to Investment professionals to influence decision-making concerning climate, decarbonization and ESG issues
- Engage and develop working relationships with OTPP deal teams, portfolio companies, and other divisions within the fund
What you’ll need
- 3 to 5 years’ related experience – sustainability/climate consulting responsible investing, ESG analysis, investment analyst with ESG focus, etc.
- Minimum Bachelor; Master’s degree in engineering, environment, climate science, finance or other relevant field an asset
- Completion of the CFA (or underway) would be an asset
- Knowledge of and passion for climate change, ESG and sustainable investing
- Experience working on corporate carbon footprint calculations and decarbonization plans
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills (both oral and written) – Climate change or energy scenario development and analysis either in a technical or consulting capacity
- particularly an ability to understand and communicate technical climate and ESG material to investment professionals
- Proven ability to apply judgment in determining materiality in the decision-making process
- Familiarity with investment-related concepts, such as capital markets and fundamental company analysis an asset
- Works well independently or as a member of a team
- Highly adaptable, flexible and open to new insights
- Ability to manage multiple and changing priorities
What We’re Offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers’.
How To Apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
Accommodations are available upon request (email@example.com) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.