Website Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
We are looking for a candidate who will contribute to Ontario Teachers’ sustainable investing initiatives by supporting the Fund’s global corporate governance and stewardship efforts, including proxy voting execution, company engagements, research and analysis of ESG issues and corporate governance policy development.
You will be instrumental to the success of the corporate governance and stewardship mandate which is to create and protect value by minimizing the risk in Ontario Teachers’ investment portfolio. We believe that “good governance, is good business”.
Who You’ll Work With
The role is situated within an established Corporate Governance function which is part of the Sustainable Investing Team of the Total Fund Management Department. This platform provides the opportunity to collaborate and work across the broader Investments division to promote effective corporate governance practices and to monitor the external environment for emerging trends and ESG-related controversies, assessing their impact on the Fund.
What You’ll Do
- Support the proxy voting process to ensure that all votes are cast in accordance with Ontario Teachers’ stated Proxy Voting Guidelines, in time to be properly registered at the shareholder meeting. Collaborate with investment teams on relevant proxy voting decisions.
- Develop and recommend annual updates to the Proxy Voting Guidelines based on an assessment of emerging corporate governance and proxy voting trends.
- Enhance the Issues Based Risk Management Framework in collaboration with Sustainable Investing and other relevant teams and across Ontario Teachers’.
- Assist with the collection, analysis and reporting of corporate governance market data and portfolio company data to inform new corporate governance insights.
- Identify ESG improvement opportunities for Ontario Teachers’ portfolio companies.
- Actively contribute to direct and collaborative corporate engagement activities including analyzing data to determine engagement candidates and expected outcomes, research and meeting preparation, record keeping and participation in the engagement meeting, as needed.
- Identify and monitor emerging trends in corporate governance and where appropriate assist in the development of an Ontario Teachers’ viewpoint.
- Liaise with Ontario Teachers’ investment professionals and senior management on current and emerging governance issues relevant to the Ontario Teachers’ public company portfolio.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in related role (corporate governance focus desirable).
- University Degree required.
- Degree or specialization in business, commerce, finance or other relevant field and/or completion of the CFA (or underway) would be an asset.
- Familiarity with investment-related concepts, such as capital markets, fundamental company analysis and materiality.
- A keen interest in ESG issues, particularly corporate governance, and their implications on companies and boards along with a curiosity for continuous knowledge development.
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities.
- An ability to apply good judgment, think creatively, and process large amounts of information with a rigorous attention to detail.
- An ability to develop, communicate, and defend an independent point of view supported by both qualitative and quantitative facts and analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office; familiarity with Power BI an asset.
- Familiarity with ESG data and technical ability to manipulate the data.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as required.
What We’re Offering
- Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
- Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
- A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
- Competitive time off
- Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers’.
How To Apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
Accommodations are available upon request (email@example.com) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.