Associate Portfolio Manager, Sustainable Investing & Innovation
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posting Date: January 27, 2023
At OPTrust, paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow is our mission and business.
When you choose OPTrust, you join a team of smart, talented people who fuel our success and have a passion for pensions. Everyone at OPTrust – from London, Toronto, and Sydney – makes a meaningful impact, our environment is fast paced, but we find time to have fun and give back to the community as well. Our strength resides in our team members with different backgrounds and perspectives creating an inclusive and fulfilling place to work for everyone.
What OPTrust Offers You
- Unique culture rooted in our core values – collaboration and teamwork, integrity, respect, flexibility, and excellence and continuous improvement – reflected across the team.
- Dedicated business strategy for inclusion, diversity, and equity with multiple, meaningful opportunities to participate.
- Flexible, hybrid work model being implemented to balance the benefits of working from home and the collaborative teamwork experience in the office.
- Membership in our world-class defined benefit pension plan.
- A purpose-driven environment, including the opportunity to contribute to OPTrust’s climate change and responsible investing programs.
- Professional development opportunities and learning initiatives including access to LinkedIn Learning, in-house speaker series, tuition reimbursement program and professional association memberships.
- Comprehensive benefits package focused on your health and wellness, including dental, vision and extended health benefits.
- Opportunity to take parental and adoptions leaves to spend time with family.
- Competitive vacation package and time away from work such as work-life balance days.
If you strive for excellence and continuous improvement, value a collaborative and flexible team culture, and approach everything with integrity and respect, then we invite you to apply to join our team!
About the Role
OPTrust’s Sustainable Investing and Innovation team (SII) was established in 2020 and sits within OPTrust’s Investment Division with a three-fold mandate. The first is to build out an investment program to put capital to work in innovative areas that support OPTrust’s long-term sustainability, starting with investments in private market funds focused on climate opportunities. The second is to lead the organization’s responsible investing (RI) program and continually improve the integration of RI principles across the Investment Division. The third is to oversee the delivery and strategic evolution of OPTrust’s broader Climate Change Strategy, released in 2022.
This role would be well-suited to someone interested in building and executing an earlier-stage investment strategy who is also interested more widely in the application of responsible investing across an entire organization. Reporting into Managing Director, Sustainable Investing and Innovation and working closely with the portfolio managers, the APM will provide high quality analysis, research and investment opinions pertaining to new investment opportunities within the SII portfolio. The APM will also support responsible investing projects across all asset classes in the Investment Division.
What You’ll Do
- Investment Selection, Due Diligence and Portfolio Management – 50%
- Identifies investment opportunities, in collaboration with other investment professionals
- Performs detailed due diligence in evaluating investment opportunities, including industry assessment, track record and performance analysis and the preparation of investment memorandums
- Actively participates in the investment decision-making process, including investment committee discussions
- Represents the SII team in meetings with external managers
- Assists with the on-going management and monitoring of portfolio investments, including producing quarterly reports and distilling insights from our investment partners
- Identifies, researches, and monitors new trends relevant to the SII portfolio and the wider organization
- Responsible Investing – 50%
- Works in partnership with investment teams on ESG integration activities, including the delivery of the Climate Change Strategy
- Contribute to development and implementation of responsible investing initiatives, including data projects, across the Fund
- Participate on various responsible investing committees and working groups, as needed
What You Bring
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience, preferably in an investment banking, private equity, institutional investment, or other related role; experience in funds investing is an asset
- Knowledge of and interest in climate change and other sustainability investment themes; experience with ESG issues across asset classes is an asset
- Undergraduate degree required with completion of or progress towards additional designations or degrees is also an asset
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Commitment to the values of OPTrust, including the ability to demonstrate impact made in your community or workplace
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- A willingness to travel (3-5 trips/year)
Please submit you application (resume and cover letter) by February 17, 2023 using the below link:
Serving a membership as diverse as ours and investing in a global market means cultivating an environment that embraces diversity and inclusion in everything we do. We know diversity of thought, background, culture, and perspective is critical to creating long-term value. OPTrust is a diverse organization engaged in building on our unique strengths. If you require an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please send a message to email@example.com, or discuss your needs with the Recruitment Consultant during the telephone screen. We will do our best to work with you and provide appropriate accommodation.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.