Working under the direction of the Vice President, Sustainable Investing, the Director will work with teams across the enterprise and be accountable for supporting the implementation of OMERS Sustainable Investing (SI) Framework. You will bring a seasoned professional knowledge on sustainable investing and a passion to contribute to the continued advancement of Sustainable Investing at OMERS.
As a member of this team, you will be responsible for
- Using your depth of knowledge in this specialized area to implement and enhance OMERS SI framework across the enterprise. This includes ESG integration, engagement and collaboration activities across various teams such as Investments, Risk, Finance & Communications.
- Leveraging your ability to creatively address complex issues and to develop pragmatic solutions to support the development and implementation of business unit ESG portfolio monitoring, analytics and reporting
- Playing a leading role in the implementation of our approach to climate change including portfolio carbon footprinting, scenario analysis, and evaluation of emerging tools and methodologies
- Use your creativity to deliver on multiple priorities simultaneously as you thrive in a fast paced, results-oriented team
- Lead research projects and provide insights as required on broad sustainability trends, emerging best practices to a variety of audiences
- Build agendas and work plans for the Sustainable Investing Committee meetings and related working groups
- Monitor SI industry developments, regulatory developments, ESG risks and related financial and pension industry trends
- Represent OMERS in collaborative industry initiatives and associations as well as in speaking engagements and media interviews
- Prepare industry briefings, summaries, reports, presentations and recommendations on various topics related to Sustainable Investing for senior leaders
- Assist internal and external SI-related reporting for the OMERS website and annual report as well as board-level reporting and SI communications, both internal and external
- Support the preparation of materials for media interviews and speaking opportunities for senior leaders
- Contribute to the development of our SI strategic direction to ensure OMERS consistently demonstrates leadership in the space
To succeed in this role, you have
- Significant depth and breadth of knowledge in the field of Sustainable Investing
- University degree required; advanced degree(s) in Business, Finance, Engineering, Environmental Science, or other relevant area preferred
- Additional professional designations like a CFA considered an asset
- 8-10 years experience required, preferably in a financial institution
- Self-starter who proactively seeks out ways to continually improve outcomes and has demonstrated commitment to high quality results
- Ability to creatively address complex issues and to develop pragmatic solutions
- Proven ability to effectively work on and successfully deliver multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and problem-solving abilities
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a high-performing team, while fostering a collegial team culture
- High proficiency in MS PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to conduct research, draw insights and convey ideas clearly and concisely
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and the ability to communicate with a broad stakeholder group. Clear and confident oral and written communicator who can effectively work with all levels and adapt style based on audience.
- Strong service orientation with a demonstrated ability to forge strong relationships with internal and external partners.
- Willingness to jump in on different tasks and thrive in the dynamic environment of a small team.
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate OMERS Leadership Competencies Strategic Orientation; Change Leadership; Influencing Collaboratively, Team Leadership and Results Orientation
Founded in 1962, OMERS is one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, with $121 billion in net assets as at December 31, 2021. OMERS is a jointly-sponsored pension plan, with 1,000 participating employers ranging from large cities to local agencies, and over half a million active, deferred and retired members. OMERS members include union and non-union employees of municipalities, school boards, local boards, transit systems, electrical utilities, emergency services and children’s aid societies across Ontario. Contributions to the Plan are funded equally by members and employers. OMERS teams work in Toronto, London, New York, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe – serving members and employers and originating and managing a diversified portfolio of high-quality investments in public markets, private equity, infrastructure and real estate.
OMERS is committed to having a workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At OMERS inclusion and diversity means belonging. How we create a sense of belonging is through our employees and our vast network of Employee Resource Groups. Whether you are passionate about gender, pride, or visible minorities, we have groups that are focused on making a difference in all of our lives.