Website New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF)
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, sustainability, or related field with a preference for a master’s degree
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years’ experience in sustainability (ESG/Impact) related research, management consulting, banking, or investing
- Demonstrated skills in conducting qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis and presenting the results in clear and concise reports or dashboards
- Experience with ESG related data providers such as MSCI, Bloomberg, Sustainalytics, ISS, Aladdin etc. and/or ESG disclosure organizations such as PRI, TCFD, SBTi, CDP, etc.
- Very strong desire to work within the growing field of sustainable investing with a deep understanding of the ESG investing landscape
- Master’s degree in finance, economics, sustainability, or related field
- Candidates who have obtained their MBA or Chartered
Financial Analyst (CFA) credential (CFA study at any level a plus)
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in data analysis techniques and tools
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong willingness to learn and openness to feedback
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF), with over $20 billion of assets under management, is seeking an experienced investments practitioner to assist its ESG Team. The position will play an instrumental role within the Investments Team, working as part of a team to build out the ESG/Sustainable Investments strategy and manage a new portfolio of sustainable investments. The position will have significant responsibility and exposure to best-in-class ESG investment practices within a growing and entrepreneurial culture.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced investments professional who is able to lead data efforts, due diligence processes, and evaluate investments that align with NYSIF’s net zero and ESG objectives. We expect that this candidate will be highly quantitative and research and data driven.
The position reports to the Head of ESG and Sustainable Investing and sits within the office of the Chief Investment Officer. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Lead analysis to carry out comprehensive due diligence (investment and ESG related) for new investments across various asset classes, such as, bonds, public equities, structured products, and alternatives (including private equity and private debt)
- Research and assess potential investment options available in the market and select funds that best align with NYSIF’s ESG policies and strategies
- Compare the performance, risk and cost of various investment products and funds and put forward recommendations to various internal and external stakeholders
- Manage and monitor the investment portfolio performance
- Oversee regular benchmarking of our ESG performance against peers, industry trends and best practices
- Prepare and present reports, dashboards, and presentations on ESG research and analysis findings
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on ESG data collection, validation, and disclosure and provide updates in the market and industry
- Support the development and implementation of ESG policies, frameworks, and initiatives
- Draft content for internal and external communications
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Please note that NYSIF does not offer bonus programs as part of our compensation program.
- Competitive Compensation
- Entrepreneurial Opportunity to Develop Strategy and Investments at an Asset Owner
- Future Career Growth Potential
- Open and Supportive Team-Based Environment
- Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Leave Accruals
- Paid State and Federal Holidays
- Full Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Retirement Options
- Possibility of Telecommuting, Flextime, and Alternative Work Schedules
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF’s mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to New York employers and to provide timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers, while maintaining a solvent fund. Since inception, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair marketplace and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the top 10 largest workers’ compensation carriers in the nation, insuring approximately 139,000 policyholders, with more than $1.8 billion in annual earned premium and over $22 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 56,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added paid family leave as a component of its disability benefits product, providing New Yorkers with job-protected, paid time away from work to care for their families.
NYSIF Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) prioritizes and champions diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) throughout our agency. NYSIF provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law. We believe that embracing our differences brings richness, new ideas and experiences to NYSIF, which energizes a creative and innovative work environment. We strive to foster a workplace where diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making process and have ample opportunity for advancement. We are committed to investing the necessary resources and attention to improving the engagement, retention, and promotion of the extraordinary talent we have.