About the role:
The award-winning ESG Center of Expertise leads Morningstar’s sustainability research efforts globally within Manager Research. The team works with colleagues across global markets and different teams at Morningstar and Sustainalytics. In particular, the ESG Center of Expertise creates research and thought leadership, develops environmental, social, and governance (ESG) datasets and analytics, and contributes to projects that integrate ESG capabilities across Morningstar’s various platforms and client solutions.
Morningstar’s primary mission is “Empowering Investor Success.” As an Associate ESG Quantitative Analyst within Manager Research, your role in this will be to produce objective and independent research on funds and asset managers. Your work will help individuals, intermediaries, and institutional investors not only make better investment decisions, but ones that are aligned with their own sustainability preferences.
The role requires strong skills in data wrangling, visualisation, and analysis. The role holder will also need a passion for data science and an interest in ESG issues. In this role, you will gather, format, and analyse ESG data, and contribute to research reports. You will also develop ESG investing industry expertise that contributes to the team’s thought leadership. The Manager Research ESG Quantitative Analyst will also play a key operational role in scaling Morningstar’s research products.
This position reports into the Global Director of Sustainability Research, Manager Research, based in London.
- Collaborate with members of the ESG Center of Expertise to create investor-centric, educational, and insightful ESG research.
- Gather, review, clean, and analyse large datasets using software and programming languages to extract meaningful insights and engaging, informative visualisations
- Work with Morningstar and Sustainalytics data teams to identify and understand new datasets
- Provide support to other stakeholders by sharing ESG data and research produced by the team
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience reviewing, cleaning, understanding and formatting datasets in order to generate valuable insights
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, preferably with VBA (or other coding experience)
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a global-company environment
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Python, R, Jupyter Notebooks, and/or SQL
- Knowledge of SharePoint, PowerBI, PowerAutomate and other advanced Microsoft 365 tools
- Basic knowledge of the ESG and sustainable investing space, and current and emerging regulation in this area
036_MstarResearchLLC Morningstar Research Services LLC Legal Entity
Morningstar’s hybrid work environment gives you the opportunity to work remotely and collaborate in-person each week. We’ve found that we’re at our best when we’re purposely together on a regular basis, at least three days each week. A range of other benefits are also available to enhance flexibility as needs change. No matter where you are, you’ll have tools and resources to engage meaningfully with your global colleagues.