Website Morgan Stanley
Bank | Asset Manager
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (“MSIM”), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 1,300 investment professionals around the world and $1.4 trillion in assets under management or supervision as of June 30, 2023. MSIM strives to provide strong long-term investment performance, outstanding service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
Morgan Stanley Real Assets (“MSRA”) is the global real assets investment management arm of Morgan Stanley. MSRA is comprised of 5 investment teams focused on real estate and infrastructure equity and credit strategies, both private and listed. With 21 offices in 14 countries throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia, regional teams of dedicated real assets professionals combine a unique global perspective with local presence and significant transaction execution expertise. As of June 30, 2023, MSRA manages $59 billion of client AUM worldwide.
This position will report to the Head of Sustainability for Global Real Assets who oversees sustainability strategy and execution for Private Real Estate, Infrastructure and Real Estate Credit strategies across the U.S., Europe and Asia. The candidate will initially work with the U.S. and European Real Estate teams. The candidate will assist with managing ESG data, achieving GHG emission targets across the US portfolio, including creating asset-level carbon reduction plans for existing and new developments, developing an energy sourcing strategy with renewable integration, and overseeing climate-related risk assessments.
Energy And Carbon Management
- Review energy procurement for Real Estate Investing (REI) funds and develop program to reduce GHGe and expenses
- Create a renewable energy program for REI U.S. funds and work with asset managers, property managers and external consultants to ensure execution of plan
- Conduct fund-level energy benchmarking and work with investment teams to create asset- level energy roadmaps and capex plans
- Assist with evaluation of emerging sustainable technologies that best meet the various asset classes
- Define energy and carbon strategy for new developments including measuring and reducing embodied carbon
Climate-Related Risks Assessments
- Conduct asset-level climate-related risk assessment and complete portfolio-wide analysis leveraging climate risk tools and the Carbon Risk Real Estate Monitor (CRREM) across REI funds
- Create asset-level resilience plans in collaboration with external consultants, asset managers and insurance team
ESG Data Management and Reporting
- Oversee and contribute to maintenance of ESG data management systems, processes and integration
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to ensure maximized accuracy, consistency and coverage of ESG data
- Assist in assessing the viability of Article 8/Article 9 (aligned with EU’s Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation) compliant strategies for select REI funds with support from in-house legal and compliance team
- Lead external ESG reporting aligned with third-party guidelines (e.g., INREV Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, SFDR disclosures, SEC, UN PRI, GRESB, UK Stewardship Code)
- Collaborate with internal teams to support development and implementation of fund/asset sustainability strategies
- Manage ESG consultants (develop the scope of work and contracts, oversee appointments and performance and maintain preferred supplier list)
- Stay ahead of statutory/key market developments and ensure they are reflected in the ongoing maintenance/update of the sustainability vision and implementation strategy
- Source or develop, and deliver content to educate investment teams (e.g., monthly webinars, newsletters)
- Graduate or undergraduate degree holder with 4-5+ years of experience
- Experience working in a real estate / real assets business and/or specifically within an ESG/sustainability capacity
- A strong foundation in business, finance, and/or related fields, evidenced by a relevant degree, appropriate industry qualification and/or relevant work experience
- Experience with ESG reporting frameworks including PRI, GRESB, TCFD, SFDR, EU Taxonomy
- Strong interest and understanding of key ESG real assets topics, such as renewable energy, energy management climate risk and carbon offset market
- Excellent communication skills: ability to influence people and engage with internal/external stakeholders.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and the ability to present the conclusions of your analysis in a clear and well-structured manner
- Marketing and communication expertise
- Good project management skills and ability to translate policy into implementation
- A track record of cross-functional collaboration and consensus building, with superior ability to demonstrate leadership skills and collaborate across teams
Expected base pay rates for the role will be between $120000 and $150000 per year at the commencement of employment. However, base pay if hired will be determined on an individualized basis and is only part of the total compensation package, which, depending on the position, may also include commission earnings, incentive compensation, discretionary bonuses, other short and long-term incentive packages, and other Morgan Stanley sponsored benefit programs.
Morgan Stanley’s goal is to build and maintain a workforce that is diverse in experience and background but uniform in reflecting our standards of integrity and excellence. Consequently, our recruiting efforts reflect our desire to attract and retain the best and brightest from all talent pools. We want to be the first choice for prospective employees.
It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy, veteran or military service status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (M/F/Disability/Vet).
Nov 29, 2023
Americas-United States of America-New York-New York