Website Morgan Stanley
Bank | Asset Manager
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (“MSIM”), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 3,200 investment professionals around the world and $1.3 trillion in assets under management or supervision as of September 30, 2022. Morgan Stanley Investment Management strives to provide strong long-term investment performance, outstanding service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
Calvert Research and Management is a recognized leader in responsible investing. Our mission is to deliver superior long-term performance to our clients and to enable them to achieve positive impact. Calvert Research and Management is located in Washington DC and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morgan Stanley. For more information, visit www.calvert.com.
Calvert Research and Management has approximately $34 billion of mutual fund and separate account assets under management as of March 31, 2021. The company traces its roots to Calvert Investments, which in 1982 launched the first mutual fund to avoid investment in companies doing business in apartheid-era South Africa. Today, the Calvert Funds are one of the largest and most diversified families of responsibly invested mutual funds, encompassing actively and passively managed U.S. and international equity, fixed and floating-rate income, and multi-asset strategies.
We are seeking Investment Research Associates who are passionate about the impact company behavior has on society, the environment and on corporate performance and have experience integrating ESG considerations in the investment process. An ideal Investment Research Associate will bring subject matter expertise on governance topics and environmental and social issues, along with an understanding of how these issues can impact an investment thesis. S/he will be able to communicate views clearly, will be credible with company management teams as well as clients, will enjoy acting as an individual contributor within a highly collaborative investment culture, and will thrive by building strong relationships with colleagues.
- Build and maintain models which reflect our materiality matrix for the purpose of differentiating companies and securities based on their ESG performance, identifying key performance indicators that have proven to be most impactful on stock prices and integrate into research framework
- Use information from proprietary key performance indicators and proprietary research to score, analyze, rate and rank companies on their ESG performance
- Seek and evaluate sources of information regarding the ESG policies and performance of corporations
- Develop expertise within industry sectors and relevant peer groups of companies
- Contribute to our team’s proprietary knowledge of ESG factors and linkage to financial metrics – Use the information that is an output of our models to identify opportunities to engage directly with issuers of securities in order to improve their sustainability performance and enhance our returns on the security
- Effectively communicate Calvert’s research framework within the organization, to clients, and broader investment community
- Assist in creating a productive, collaborative and innovative team culture, including facilitating the team’s professional development
- Contribute to and publish original research
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree would be a plus) in Accounting, Finance, Business or related fields
- 2 to 4 years experience in capital markets and investment topics, either through work experience or educational background
- The ability to work effectively in a thoughtful, collaborative team environment
- Strong communication skills, being able to interface effectively with bright quantitative colleagues as well as non-technical audiences
- Passion for aligning financial returns with stakeholder impact
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Advanced MS Office (Word/PowerPoint/Excel) skills
- Experience with financial tools and databases (e.g., Bloomberg)
The ideal candidate would additionally bring some of the following:
- A graduate degree in a quantitative discipline, either in economics or (quantitative) finance, or in the natural sciences or engineering
- A strong foundation in applied empirical analysis (experimental work in natural sciences, statistics, econometrics, data science) and facility with manipulating numbers, including programming skills
- CFA charterholder, or progress toward such certification
Morgan Stanley’s goal is to build and maintain a workforce that is diverse in experience and background but uniform in reflecting our standards of integrity and excellence. Consequently, our recruiting efforts reflect our desire to attract and retain the best and brightest from all talent pools. We want to be the first choice for prospective employees.
It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy, veteran or military service status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (M/F/Disability/Vet).
Expected base pay rates for the role will be between $95,000 and $130,000 per year at the commencement of employment. However, base pay if hired will be determined on an individualized basis and is only part of the total compensation package, which, depending on the position, may also include commission earnings, incentive compensation, discretionary bonuses, other short and long-term incentive packages, and other Morgan Stanley sponsored benefit programs.
Nov 10, 2023
Americas-United States of America-New York-New York
Americas-United States of America-District of Columbia-Washington