Website Morgan Stanley
Bank | Asset Manager
PLACEMENT AND DURATION
The 10 week Sustainable Finance Summer Placement provides students with the unique opportunity to design and implement efforts that seek to drive capital towards investments that promote sustainable economic growth and scalable solutions to global challenges. You will be placed in one of the following functional areas – Global Capital Markets, Investment Management and Research – based on skillset and interest, working directly with the respective teams on projects and actual transactions.
With support from the Institute for Sustainable Investing, Morgan Stanley is dedicated to accelerating the adoption of sustainable investing, which seeks to deliver both competitive financial returns and positive environmental and social impact. The Institute partners across the Firm to pioneer scalable sustainable finance solutions, build new sustainable investing tools, and generate industry-leading insights that inform and empower investors
Morgan Stanley’s Sustainable Finance Summer Placement training programme consists of a curriculum that is designed to cultivate emerging leaders in sustainable finance and investing. You will attend both Firm wide and divisional training where you will learn the core skills required to be successful on the job. In addition, you will have the opportunity to network with Senior Management and other representatives across the business and in sustainable investing through lunches, seminars and social activities.
Responsibilities depend on which of the following functional areas you are placed in:
- Global Capital Markets: Providing support on marketing and execution of Green and Social Bonds. Preparing analyses of transaction precedents and performances. Gathering market data to analyse trends, investor sentiment and market outlook, and closely monitor regulatory and policy developments related to the broader ESG debate. Attending team discussions and client meetings, where you may be asked to deliver part of a presentation.
- Investment Management: Developing a good understanding of Environment, Social and Governance factors and our approach on integrating them into multi-asset portfolios; conducting research on key ESG issues and identifying portfolio companies with material risk exposure for engagement purpose; designing actionable and impactful engagement strategy for investee companies to encourage better corporate practices and mitigate portfolio risks.
- Research: Gathering and analyzing sustainability data, collaborating with research analysts, to highlight emerging trends and writing reports to communicate investment ideas to a sophisticated client base
QUALIFICATIONS/ SKILLS/ REQUIREMENTS
- You have a strong academic background and are working towards an Masters or Sustainable Finance Masters or similar.
- You have a demonstrable and active interest in sustainability.
- You articulate complex ideas simply and summarise them effectively.
- You are a team player and a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- You have strong organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects efficiently.
- You are fluent in English.
To include in your Cover Letter:
- In no more than 300 words; please describe what sustainability means to you and how you best demonstrate your continued active interest.
- Please state the function area that you would be interested in joining.