Website Meridian Credit Union
About This Opportunity
At Meridian our aspiration is to integrate our purpose into everything we do for people, the planet, and communities. We believe that our greatest opportunity is to create opportunity and meet people where they are.
The Senior Manager, ESG & Sustainability Reporting will report directly to the Vice President, ESG & Social Impact, and will provide ongoing support in developing Meridian and its subsidiaries’ (MCU) ESG program. The incumbent will play a pivotal role in building and maintaining relationships across MCU and will act as the main point of contact for various ESG initiatives.
With the support of the Vice President, ESG & Social Impact, the incumbent is expected to operationalize ESG strategies across MCU and work with internal partners to ensure that solutions are implemented.
The incumbent will also proactively research and monitor relevant marketplace activities in the environmental, social, and governance space in order to ensure that MCU is capturing, analyzing, and reporting on MCU’s ESG activities and working in partnership across the company by building internal and external awareness of the MCU’s ESG objectives and achievements.
The Senior Manager, ESG and Sustainability Reporting is responsible for assisting with setting up and maintaining MCU’s data collection, systems, processes, and project management related to MCU’s corporate ESG strategy and targets across various business lines. Also responsible for compiling MCU’s Annual ESG report.
- Develop and maintain highly effective interpersonal relationships with influential decision-makers both within and outside the organization.
- Establish and conduct ongoing engagement of effective cross-functional groups and participate in problem solving process.
- Communicate specialized ESG information to all levels within the organization, including Executives and the Board.
- Translate complex ideas and analysis in simple and straightforward terms for various audiences.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communication strategies for the organization.
- Display excellent client service skills with an aptitude to understand the clients’ business and maintain strong client relationships with all levels.
- Proactively communicate with internal and external stakeholders as required.
Data Analytics & Reporting
- Project manage MCU’s Annual ESG report
- Align and partner with cross-functional team to pull together all ESG reporting (regulated and non-regulated) ongoing across the organization to ensure full picture of company data.
- Assess financial implications of ESG performance and provide recommendations on how to operationalize realistic solutions.
- Develop appropriate ESG material and distribute to external stakeholder(s) with a consistent approach.
- Develop and present appropriate responses and reports, appropriate for the audience, including but not limited to: board reports, presentations, data summaries.
Data & Systems Management
- Act as the internal focal point for collecting and filing all ESG related material and data.
- Develop and maintain the Company’s ESG data systems, ensuring the integrity and accuracy of data based on automation and digital initiatives.
- Complete annual greenhouse gas emissions calculations for MCU with support.
- Work with internal partners to identify gaps in data systems and help to improve collection, reporting, and system efficiencies.
- Develop and maintain a sustainable central inventory of ESG commitments and develop dashboards and regular reporting on MCU’s status against key ESG commitments.
- Support the decision-making process on new ESG commitments by leading analysis and interpretation of environment and climate related commitments, working closely with Risk, Legal, and other partners.
- Develop climate-related reduction and remediation strategies and performance monitoring.
- Provide ESG subject matter inputs to the Business Lines, Risk, Change Management, and other partners in embedding and operationalizing ESG considerations and strategies across MCU.
- Assist with setting corporate ESG strategy and targets across various business lines.
- Develop a communication plan with the Vice President, ESG and Social Impact as well senior leadership team (SLT) and Board(s) to describe MCU’s overall ESG ambitions and strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Drive employee support and engagement of the MCU ESG strategy and activities.
- Complete peer benchmarking on various ESG issues, topics, and public positions.
- Participate in industry and external stakeholder engagement activities in areas related to ESG and sustainability.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Post-secondary education and at least five years’ experience in ESG reporting.
- Strong familiarity with key ESG concepts and frameworks, including understanding of ISSB, GRI, SASB, UN SDG’s and recommendations from the TCFD (Task Force on climate-related financial disclosures), OSFI Guideline B-15 or other related frameworks for ESG programs.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in corporate responsibility, sustainability, environment, governance and social impact.
- Hands-on experience managing related programs in the Financial Services Industry including ESG data collection and reporting for a Financial Institution.
- Knowledgeable of rules, regulations, and trends in ESG space for financial services organizations
- Financial acumen.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Able to meet established schedules and deadlines on time and on budget.
- Results-oriented with excellent communication, analytical and strong multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced professional environment, and willingness to travel to various locations and branches for MCU and its subsidiaries.
Office Location: 3330 Bloor Street West, Toronto.
Meridian has a remote work policy that allows flexibility for employees to work remotely but also requires regular time in the office for purposeful meetings to collaborate, innovate and build effective relationships with your team, your colleagues and your leader which is very important to us.
What’s in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to delight your candidates and clients!
- You’ll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top organizations around the world
- Hybrid work arrangements with in-person office time to collaborate, innovate and build relationships with your colleagues
- This isn’t your typical “corporate” job. We work hard and we have fun!
Who we are:
Meridian is Ontario’s largest credit union, and second largest in Canada, helping to grow the lives of our more than 360,000 Members. Meridian has more than 75 years of banking history and is 100% owned by its members. With 89 retail branches and 15 Business Banking Centers across Ontario and $ 30B in assets under management, Meridian offers a full range of financial products and services to its retail, business banking and wealth members. With over 2000 employees and corporate offices located in Toronto and St. Catharines, Meridian has a track record of creating and delivering innovative new offerings and is committed to investing in the communities that we serve. Our plan is to build on our momentum as we deliver on our purpose – helping our members achieve their best life.
Find our story here: About Meridian
Experience the Difference!
Meridian committed to promoting an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to employing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities and Members in which we live and serve.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in Meridian Credit Union.
Follow us on Twitter at
Connect with us on LinkedIn