Website McGill University
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Finance & Governance, the Senior Analyst, Responsible Investment will play a leading role in the achievement of the Office of Investment’s sustainable investment goals by recommending action plans to meet McGill’s socially responsible commitments and the Pension Administration Committee’s aspirations to invest responsibly. The Senior Analyst will serve as subject matter expert on sustainability matters and will utilize a wide variety of skillsets including critical thinking, strategic planning and good communication and interpersonal skills with the goal of leading dialogues with the McGill community, investment managers and responsible investors. Communicating with McGill external investment managers to obtain information related to McGill’s portfolios and ensuring compliance with investment policies and regulatory requirements of McGill University’s endowment fund and pension plan are other key roles of this position.
- Advise on the development of responsible investing practices for Pension and Endowment investment activities; develop, execute, and manage these new practices. Keep abreast of the latest developments in this area.
- Initiate, develop and maintain relationships and collaborations with industry responsible investing groups/associations.
- Conduct service provider searches for outsourced responsible investment activities and serve as a primary contact to monitor their progress and deliverables once appointed.
- Track and report progress on responsible investment practises in investment committee’s documentation; present findings and recommendations to diverse McGill Committees and senior management.
- Assess portfolio carbon footprint and impact investments allocation using MSCI ESG Research, Bloomberg and managers’ ESG documentation.
- Promote the Endowment & Pension responsible investing practices to the McGill community and meet with peer universities to exchange on responsible investing best practices.
- Communicate regularly with external investment managers to obtain information or to engage with them on various aspects including compliance, exclusion and ESG factors and socially responsible investing.
- Produce the annual Endowment performance report, the Endowment Socially Responsible Investing report, the ESG section of the Pension Plan annual report, other reports provided to donors and quarterly Endowment holdings reports which entails collecting and interpreting data relating to these reports and suggesting and implementing reporting improvements.
- Analyze monthly compliance reports, investigate any exceptions and discrepancies, and recommend a course of action if required.
- Collaborate with the service provider to ensure all new management agreements and contract amendments are properly reflected in their compliance reporting.
- Assist with various governance related activities such as preparing onboarding documentation for new committee members and managing the annual code of ethics reporting.
Other Qualifying Skills And/or Abilities
- Knowledge of sustainable investment practices (ESG integration, impact investing, proxy voting, engagement), and ability to have a critical perspective on responsible investing practices and challenges.
- Understanding of the responsible investing sphere key players and associations.
- Strong research and analytical skills with great attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prepare high-end, accurate reports destined to a knowledgeable senior audience.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including relationship building and networking, to interact with highly experienced professionals within global asset management companies.
- Strong communication skills:
- Proven ability to write, reread and edit texts, documents, and reports
- Excellent ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Strong sense of organization and strong ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with pensions and endowment management an asset.
- Familiarity with sustainable and finance software, such as Bloomberg and MSCI ESG.
- Able to work alone and as part of a team in a dynamic environment
- English and French (spoken, written and reading); impeccable written English is required
Minimum Education And Experience
Bachelor’s Degree 5 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 07) $82,150.00 – $102,690.00 – $123,230.00
Hours Per Week
33.75 (Full time)
Sr Mgr Finance & Governance
Deadline To Apply
Position End Date (If applicable):
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org.