Website M&G Investments
At M&G our purpose is to help people manage and grow their savings and investments, responsibly. As a business, we are continuing to take steps towards a sustainable future, delivering better long-term solutions for our customers and clients and identifying new opportunities to make a positive impact for our environment and communities. To help us achieve our vision we’re looking for exceptional people who live our values of care and integrity and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We will consider flexible working arrangements for any of our roles and also offer work place accommodations to ensure you have what you need to effectively deliver in your role.
M&G are looking for an experienced Investment Specialist to work as an Investment Specialist in the Equities business in London. The role has arisen because of the continued and evolving interest in Sustainable Investing across all public asset classes. (Wholesale Equities, Multi Asset and Fixed Income)
The successful candidate will report into Ana Cuddeford, Investment Director, Head of Wholesale Investment Specialists and work very closely with the Sustainability team.
Investment specialists are embedded in the investment teams and work with the fund managers and, in this case, with the Sustainability team, to articulate investment messages to internal audiences (sales and marketing teams) and external clients. The role is designed to facilitate long-term growth in the business by providing input into distribution activities, as well as supporting the client service required to retain existing assets under management
Key Responsibilities for this role:
The successful candidate will be responsible for communicating the progress that M&G makes in sustainability within public assets.
Detailed knowledge of the sustainable investment landscape, regulation and wider sustainability issues is a prerequisite, as well as a strong understanding of financial markets and how these take sustainability matters into accounts. As an integral member of the investment specialist team, clients expect in-depth knowledge of stocks and financial markets, and a close affinity with the role of risk management and ESG in the investment process.
Investment specialists also act as a bridge between the investment and sales teams. Commercial awareness is a necessity, together with a firm grasp of the competitive pressures in the fund management industry.
There are three parts to the Investment Specialist role in the Income team:
Messaging of sustainability/ ESG content
- To create clear, succinct messages tailored for the audience.
- To deliver high-quality written content in the form of regular educational pieces as the sustainable landscape evolves, ad-hoc marketing materials (to support promotional campaigns), as well as timely responses to client queries, RFPs and press requests.
- To oversee the production of presentation materials for client meetings and marketing events.
- To generate ideas and create new content which can be distributed across different channels to enhance the investment story.
Client facing activity
- To represent the M&G’s sustainability efforts in client meetings: introductory or update meetings in one-to-ones or main platform events.
- To work with the sales teams to develop long-term client relationships and maximise the commercial opportunity on a global scale.
- To provide feedback for internal teams on client interest for new product ideas.
- To work closely with our marketing department to create a marketing campaign reflecting the evolution of our sustainable investments, across different geographies.
- To help keep Distribution up to date with developments within the Sustainability team.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Experience in Sustainability issues (at least 5 years) preferably in the fund management industry in an investment or specialist role. CFA preferable.
- Knowledge and passion for ESG sustainability and investing, as well as a grasp of the challenges of investing.
- Commercial awareness – an understanding of industry dynamics, as well as familiarity with the wholesale and institutional client base.
- Written and verbal communication skills – ability to explain complex investment themes in simple language to a range of audiences.
- Messaging skills – ability to focus on key issues without elaborating on superfluous detail.
- Numerical and analytical skills – ability to deliver on the detail demanded by clients.
- Attention to detail – precision and rigour in the execution of tasks.
- Strong work ethic – driven by results and achievements.
- Organisational skills – ability to manage a wide range of tasks and shifting priorities.
- Time management skills – ability to meet deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills – ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders, manage expectations and provide solutions in situations of conflict.
- Proactive nature – ability to foresee future requirements and act accordingly.
- Team player – ability to make a positive contribution to the vision of the income team and the investment specialists’ team.
- Entrepreneurial attitude with ambition, drive and resilience.
- Language skills are highly desirable.
Key Work Level Accountabilities – Manager or Expert
- For people managers, accountable for managing and motivating others to ensure quality of delivery to customers and stakeholders
- For technical specialists, accountable for delivering expert advice or service, using specialist knowledge and subject matter expertise
- Applies judgement to deliver outcomes, evaluating a range of potential solutions, considering the impact for customers, cost and risk
- Manages conflicts that may impact delivery
- Challenges upwards given knowledge of delivery and awareness of complex systems and the broader picture
- Identifies and anticipates need for changes to continuously improve quality and efficiency of output
- Manages resources and risks using expert judgment, know-how and experience
Work Level: Manager / Expert
Recruiter Name: Suzie Threlfall
We have a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture at M&G plc, underpinned by our policies and our employee-led networks who provide networking opportunities, advice and support for the diverse communities our colleagues represent. Regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, nationality or disability we are looking to attract, promote and retain exceptional people. We also welcome those who take part in military service and those returning from career breaks.