Website University Pension Plan Ontario
UPP is the first pension plan of its kind in Ontario’s university sector, proudly serving over 39,000 members across four universities and 12 affiliate organizations. Our purpose is to bring greater retirement peace of mind to the university sector by investing with integrity and serving members with care. As a sector-wide plan designed for growth, our doors are open to all Ontario universities.
Together, we’re a team of progressive thinkers and agile doers operating within a fast-paced culture of collaboration and respect. We believe in bringing smart and capable people together to create, solve and grow with a clear shared vision and values of integrity, inclusivity, ingenuity, and impact.
Our culture is intentionally welcoming and purposefully rooted in equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation (EDIR). We believe diverse teams, perspectives, and lived experiences contribute to better decisions and a better workplace.
As a long-term investor, we recognize that environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) factors support risk management and value creation. As stated in our Responsible Investing Policy, we are committed to incorporating ESG considerations into our investment management activities and we collaborate with other industry participants in the promotion of a sustainable economy and society.
Join us in building a bright future for our members, our organization, and each other.
This is an exciting 14 month contract opportunity for an exceptional professional to make a significant impact by helping integrate responsible investing (RI) practices into the investments of an exciting and ground-breaking new pension plan.
As part of a strong, dedicated internal Responsible Investing team and reporting to the Director, Responsible Investing, the Manager, Responsible Investing will contribute to organizational success by helping to implement the responsible investing aspects of UPP’s investment strategy. The manager will be involved in ESG integration, portfolio monitoring and will prepare thematic research for internal and external audiences. The manager will also support the implementation of the organizational sustainability agenda that may include the development of educational materials, data collection and report preparation.
An inclusive ‘one fund’ mindset unites UPP’s investment team in a shared mission to meet the pension promise, deliver on UPP’s expectations as a responsible investor, and position our investment platform as a key competitive differentiator.
This dynamic role will provide opportunities to engage with internal Investment, Finance, Risk, and Communications partners as well as external stakeholders and partners.
This role is based in downtown Toronto under a hybrid work policy, allowing employees the flexibility to work remotely and in-office (at least wo days per week in-office).
When applying, please explain in a cover letter why you are interested in joining UPP & how your experience aligns with this role.
The key areas of accountability for the Manager, Responsibility Investing include, but are not limited to, ESG integration, organization sustainability, and portfolio monitoring –
· Work with UPP’s investment professionals to support systematic integration of ESG considerations into assessments of new and existing investments.
· Support the collection and assessment of RI information from external managers.
· Stay up to date and provide thought leadership on ESG related trends and developments, conduct ad-hoc analysis to support key investment decisions and support the development of UPP’s position statements on salient ESG issues.
· Support training and educational opportunities for UPP staff and stakeholders.
· Support the implementing of organizational sustainability initiatives.
· Support preparation of materials that provide UPP’s members, Trustees, Sponsors and other stakeholders with clear and transparent RI information.
· Contribute to UPP’s reputation as a respectful employer, partner, and participant in the financial sector.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· An undergraduate or graduate degree.
· A minimum of 5 years of related work experience in responsible investing, sustainability, or investment management.
· Strong understanding of important sustainability issues like climate change, diversity, equity and inclusion, corporate governance, Indigenous rights and reconciliation, biodiversity, human rights or impact measurement and management – ideally from an investor perspective.
· Strong computer skills including solid grasp of MS Office applications.
· Familiarity with the knowledge, skills, and abilities applied by investment professionals and in particular the responsible/sustainable aspects including ESG integration and stewardship (completion of the CFA, or underway would be an asset).
· Familiarity with a range of financial instruments and alternative investment strategies such as hedge funds, private equity and credit, real estate, and infrastructure, as well as more traditional equity and fixed income strategies.
· Familiarity with Canadian and global business, investment, and financial markets.
· Ability to build relationships and strategic partnerships with new and existing partners.
· Persuasive and confident communicator, both verbal and written.
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a time-sensitive manner.
· Ability to build and preserve trusting relationships with peers, external partners and stakeholders.
· High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
· Strategic, analytical, and entrepreneurial mindset.
· Resourceful and persistent in gathering and assessing information with the ability to quickly distill complex concepts.
· Alignment with UPP’s desire to be a leader in responsible investing, ESG, and climate change.
· Positive attitude
· Strong work ethic
· Passionate about sustainability
LIFE AT UPP
Do work that matters. We are duty-bound to serve our members’ interests, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly. That’s why we’ve ingrained sustainability in our work from day one—to ensure our members have a resilient future to retire into, both today and for generations to come.
Stronger together. Collaboration is how UPP was born, and it’s how we work with each other and our partners day in, day out. No one at UPP is just a number (even if they are excellent at math) and every win is a shared win.
Grow every day. You’ll have the opportunity to work on unique, once-in-a-career projects that maximize your skill set and probably teach you some new ones—at any stage in your career.
Prioritize wellness. At UPP, wellness takes many forms. Ultimately, it’s about ensuring our people are cared for in the ways that matter to them. Check out some highlights of our inclusive employee-focused benefits program including:
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Flexible hybrid work model
- Work from abroad up to eight weeks/year
- Comprehensive group benefits including medical, dental, vision etc.
- Extended paramedical and mental health service coverage
- Health care and lifestyle spending accounts
- Fertility treatments, paid parental leave, and gender affirmation coverage
- Education Assistance program
UPP enthusiastically welcomes applications from all qualified applicants and especially invites people with lived experience as an Indigenous person, a person with a disability or as a member of another Human Rights Code protected group that faces barriers to employment to apply. Our goal is to create a barrier-free experience for every candidate throughout the recruitment process, so if you require accommodation at any point during the process, please let us know so that we can make the appropriate arrangements. It would be our honor to work with you to adapt our processes to ensure that you can meaningfully participate.