Website MAN Group
The Man Group Responsible Investment Team
Man Group’s Responsible Investment (RI) team drives actions to integrate responsible investment in Man’s five investment engines. Our responsible investing mission focuses on three key areas: incorporating environmental, social and governance (ESG) concepts in our investment strategies, stewardship of our client assets and education and advocacy to advance the science of Responsible Investing. The RI team is responsible for managing ESG risks and capitalising on ESG opportunities as guided by the ESG Leadership.
Environmental, Social and Governance issues are materially impacting asset prices and investor expectations. At Man Group, we are committed to incorporating these topics into our investment strategies to capture their alpha opportunities and mitigate their risk. Our goal is to affect change and make the world a better place for future generations. Man Group understands that many of the concepts and data, especially for environmental and social factors, are highly specialized and nuanced and fall outside our core knowledge base. Consequently, we want to add motivated researchers who have specific expertise in any of the following areas:
- Decarbonization Strategies & Technologies
- Carbon Capture Utilization & Storage
- Human Capital Management
- Sustainable Agriculture & Nutrition
- Distributed Energy Resources and the Energy Transition
- Energy Policy and Environmental Economics
- Circular Economy
The successful candidate will lead Man Group’s research in the candidate’s area of expertise and have an opportunity to influence the investment strategy of one of the world’s largest alternatives managers.
- Further improving our positioning, strategy and implementation of the focus subject matter
- Evaluate existing and develop novel systematic approaches for modelling topics in the candidate’s area of expertise
- Work directly with Man’s investment engines to convert models into actionable risk/alpha ideas in the respective investment strategies across various asset classes
- Develop and implement a pipeline of research in the candidate’s subject proficiency.
- Work with the Man Data Science team to onboard relevant datasets that will aid in the research
- Remain abreast of emerging technologies in the discipline
- Efficiently communicate, both orally and in writing, the research to internal and external stakeholders
- Conceive and develop thought leadership pieces and represent Man’s RI efforts at internal and external events
Key Skills & Experience
- Very strong interest in environmental and social issues and how they relate to responsible investing
- PhD or Masters degree in specific environmental or social field with 2+ years of experience in that topic
- Solid research record (including publications) and demonstrated expertise the candidate’s field of expertise
- Understand the complex and often nuanced relationship between ESG concepts/data and asset pricing, both valuation and risk
- Broad understanding of how the candidate’s discipline can affect investment strategies. Investment management experience not mandatory
- Strong quantitative skills using rigorous scientific method demonstrated through publications or prior experience
- Intermediate programming skills analyzing large and complex data with statistical tools (e.g. Python, R, SAS) and the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly
- Experience performing an in-depth research project, examining real-world data
- Team player with an entrepreneurial attitude, high ethical standards and ability to work independently while keeping in sync with various internal teams
Location: London or Boston
Our Culture, Values and Benefits at Man
Man Group is proud to provide the best working environment possible for all of its employees, and we are committed to equal opportunities. At Man Group we believe that a diverse workforce is a critical factor in the success of our business and this is embedded in our culture and values. There are a number of external and internal initiatives, partnerships and programmes that help us to attract and develop talent from diverse backgrounds and that encourage inclusion and diversity across our firm and the industry. Man Group is a Signatory of the Women in Finance Charter and the Race at Work Charter. Man Group is also a Disability Confident Committed employer; if you require help or information on reasonable adjustments as you apply for roles with us, please contact HRSO@man.com. https://www.man.com/diversity
Man Group supports many charities, and global initiatives. We support professional training and development, and requests for flexible or part-time working. Employees are also offered two ‘Mankind’ days of paid leave per year as part of the Man Charitable Trust’s community volunteering programme.
We offer comprehensive, firm-wide employee benefits including competitive holiday entitlements, pension/401k, life and long-term disability coverage, group sick pay, enhanced parental leave and long-service leave. Additional benefits are tailored to local markets and may include private medical coverage, discounted gym membership and wellbeing programmes.