Website The Man Group
The Man Group Responsible Investment team
Man Group’s Responsible Investment (RI) team drives actions to integrate responsible investment in Man Group’s five investment engines. Our responsible investing mission focuses on three key areas: stewardship of our client assets; incorporating environmental, social and governance (ESG) concepts in our strategies and education and advocacy to advance the science of Responsible Investing. The RI team is responsible for managing ESG risks and capitalising on ESG opportunities as guided by ESG Leadership.
Purpose of the RI Director role
The RI Director, leading on Portfolio Oversight and reporting directly to the CIO for RI, will be central to advancing the mission of the RI team. The primary responsibilities are to develop and monitor our ESG reporting framework, maintain and improve RI processes (both internally and externally, e.g. with consideration for relevant regulation), oversee how ESG concepts are incorporated into responsible investment strategies, be a main point of contact for RI across the broader firm and escalate any issues or blockers. This role also includes line management responsibilities. This role is embedded in the front-office investment units and enables us to continue growing our ESG investment offerings for clients whilst maintaining critical controls and considerations around both the risks and opportunities from an RI perspective.
- Interpret the current RI regulatory environment and determine how those concepts apply to Man Group’s diverse investment strategies
- Oversee and implement the RI reporting framework and fund categorisation framework to meet both our internal requirements and objectives as well as regulatory developments as applied to our industry
- Understand the complex and often nuanced relationship between ESG concepts / data and firm performance, valuation, risk and compliance. Use that data to help build models to help implement the oversight framework.
- Communicate the oversight regime to interested constituents—these include investment teams, clients, Man sales staff, fund boards and regulators.
- Assist in the review and approval of quantitative and qualitative research on the ESG practices of individual companies to determine the appropriateness for inclusion in our RI strategies
- Manage stakeholders and maintain strong lines of communication between the RI team and Man’s investment engines, the Compliance team and Sales to support ESG integration into both existing and new product
- Line manage and support our RI Portfolio Oversight Analyst
Support the RI CIO in:
- Project management and facilitation
- Preparing Board/Committee level memoranda on RI business topics, guidelines, policies
- Strategic thinking and developing RI business strategy
- Preparing papers and presentations on strategic initiatives
- Very strong interest in environmental and social issues, how they relate to responsible investing and the governance and regulatory factors that must be considered
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and an ability to adeptly manage a broad group of stakeholders
- Relevant work experience in ESG concepts
- Experience or interest in governance and control frameworks
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills, basic python knowledge (although this can be taught)
- Demonstrated problem solving ability