Website Legal & General Capital
Insurer | Asset Manager
As Legal & General’s alternative asset creator, Legal and General Capital (LGC) seeks opportunities to deploy capital in sectors where there is a lack of investment to support society’s needs. LGC invests in sectors such as housing, specialist commercial property, clean energy and SME Finance and is an exciting, growing and evolving part of the L&G Group.
Sustainability is core to what we do as a division. Our vision is for all our investments to create demonstrable positive environmental and socio-economic impact. To help us meet our goals, we are excited to be expanding the team as we look to take on an impact-driven, highly capable, ambitious and adaptable Sustainability Associate, reporting into LGC’s Head of Sustainability.
In this brand-new role, you’ll play a crucial part in helping to drive the delivery of Legal and General Capital’s sustainability strategy. You will steer sustainability, impact and ESG projects (we refer to ESHG to emphasise the importance of health). You will work collaboratively across LGC’s investment sectors – including venture capital, alternative credit, digital infrastructure and clean energy – to deliver best-in-class sustainability commitments and positive environmental and social impact. You will work with our highly experienced investment teams on implementing processes and protocols for setting sustainability objectives for our investments; setting requirements for, monitoring and reporting of sustainability data; and facilitating knowledge-sharing on sustainability and impact across LGC, its asset managers and portfolio companies.
This is unique chance to join an expanding area of the business that is high profile and holds great opportunity. There is a wide breadth to this role in terms of the sustainability themes, investments and assets, and sectors, that you will deal with, meaning your days will be full of variety. This is small team working in an entrepreneurial environment, that have impact across the whole of the division and wider L&G Group. If you have a growth driven mindset and want the opportunity to work across a variety of areas, then this role offers significant personal and professional development opportunities.
- Support delivery of sustainability workstreams and projects, working collaboratively with LGC investment teams
- Help understand the impact of sustainability and ESG policy and regulations that affect LGC’s investments, and work with investment teams to be able to adapt and prosper in relation to them
- Support drafting of sustainability appraisals for proposals to LGC’s Investment Committee
- Implement agreed processes and protocols for (environmental and social) sustainability data collection and reporting to support voluntary commitments and regulatory requirements e.g. TCFD, NZAOA, SBTs, EU SFDR etc, across a number of LGC’s investment teams, including Venture Capital
- Encourage leadership by driving knowledge-sharing, learning and innovation on sustainability and impact across LGC, its assets and portfolio companies
- Develop and contribute expert knowledge on sustainability through conducting research and drafting resources and materials to support implementation of LGC’s sustainability objectives
- Support engagement with external bodies to help keep LGC and operating businesses abreast of best practice on sustainability, ESG and impact investing, and attend industry events and forums
- You’ll need a passion for sustainability and positive impact, with previous experience working in a closely related role, with a focus on sustainability/ESG – ideally within private markets
- You’ll have corporate sustainability reporting experience from an in-house or advisory perspective with good working knowledge of a range of corporate reporting frameworks and initiatives
- You’ll be highly organised, strategically minded, able to prioritise and manage multiple workstreams
- You will need to demonstrate a good working knowledge of industry practice, innovation and government policy on sustainability
- Having direct experience and knowledge of impact investing would be particularly helpful
- If you have a knowledge of the Venture Capital sector it would be an advantage.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, at least 25 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.