Website J.P. Morgan
Bank | Asset Manager
Sustainable Investing Research Analyst – London – 12 months contract – Hybrid – PAYE
We are seeking a Sustainable Investing Research Analyst to join JP Morgan in London on an initial 12 months contract. The ideal candidate will have recent experience carrying out quantitative and qualitative research working in an Asset Management firm or a closely related business and more recently focussing on climate change / sustainable investing research analysis.
The Sustainable Investing team at JPMAM unifies the firm’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts and sustainable investment strategies onto a single platform and partners with our global investment and distribution teams to develop dedicated sustainable investing research, thought leadership and solutions – by way of leveraging our differentiated investment platform, proprietary technology, data analytics, deep ESG expertise and culture of innovation – and offers innovative sustainable solutions to our institutional and retail clients.
JPMAM is looking for a Sustainable Investing Research Analyst to contribute to all aspects of the team’s work with a focus on climate change research. Reporting to the Global Head of Sustainable Investing, s/he will be part of a global team and will be expected to help execute on the overall strategy for the team, focusing on delivering key climate insights – covering climate risk assessment and attribution, modeling of climate impacts as well as implementation methodologies and investment frameworks across asset classes.
You will be expected to make immediate contributions to the firm’s understanding of climate change’s impact on investment portfolios and asset allocation, in order to add value to cross-asset investments and our clients. The successful candidate will be expected to provide informative and accurate analysis of how climate change impact economies, sectors and industries in the context of physical and transition risks and opportunities, as well as designing frameworks for climate scenario analysis.
Research & Analysis
- Supporting research, analysis and evaluation projects at the intersection of climate science, government policies and microeconomics;
- Performing analysis of energy, emissions, costs, revenues and related data in order to inform climate change and sustainability strategies;
- Contribute to thematic reports to educate and enhance the firm’s and its clients’ understanding on the economics of climate change;
- Developing analytical capabilities and investment tools to assess sustainability risks and opportunities; and
- Initiating, designing, coordinating and delivering all aspects of any projects assigned to them, including managing and guiding project-assigned analysts.
Internal Stakeholder & Client Engagement
- Building relationships with other research analysts on the Sustainable Investing team and other investment teams across asset classes supporting the investment and research process;
- Partnering closely with multiple teams across JPMAM in the execution of joint research work, and to design and construct investment frameworks, analytical tools to suit investor requirements and preferences;
- Engaging with internal and external stakeholders through both quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Travelling as required and acting as an ambassador the Sustainable Investing team at internal and external events.
This is a demanding job that requires independent thinking, effective client and stakeholder management, purposeful collaboration and pragmatic problem-solving skills. The successful candidate will possess a passion for creative and critical thinking about financial markets. They will need to be pro-active as well as thorough in understanding, valuing and maintaining coverage on existing research projects. Previous experience in an analytical research role either in Asset Management or a closely related business is essential.
Additionally, candidates should demonstrate:
- Bachelor’s degree within a business or technical field (finance, economics, engineering, mathematics, science etc.); Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) preferred;
- Deep expertise in at least one of the following areas: financial statement analysis, economic forecasting and business strategy.
- Deep understanding of climate change science and its physical impacts, climate policy issues, including climate change mitigation and adaptation measures
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investment theories and asset valuations.
- Familiarity with broader ESG and sustainable investing a plus.
Research & Modelling skills
- Track record of leading analyses and authoring thought leadership, ideally related to climate change and decarbonisation;
- Experience in the application of quantitative methods and analytic techniques in the analysis of financial data.
Project & Stakeholder Management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to articulate methods, insights and recommendations from complex and quantitative analysis in a compelling and influential way, both internally and to expert and non-technical audiences;
- Strong analytical and decision-making ability, combined with intellectual curiosity and honesty;
- Project management skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously;
- Outstanding interpersonal characteristics, reputation, and team orientation, which will enable her/him to command the confidence, loyalty, and respect of colleagues.
*Please note that this role will be working on a hybrid model of 3 days office based and 2 days WFH. When working from home you’ll require your own PC/Laptop.*