At IMCO, our talent is among the best! IMCO offers a uniquely stimulating and rewarding environment where you can help build and drive organizational transformation, all while seeking to challenge yourself, learn, and grow your career.
We offer a culture of collaboration and passion, creating unwavering value for the clients we serve. Our vision is to be the partner of choice for Ontario’s public sector funds and build a high-performing, value-based Asset Management firm in the heart of downtown Toronto.
If you are ready to drive best-in-class service, and join a collaborative, motivated, and fun team of professionals, we’re ready to offer you a great place to work with exciting opportunities for growth and development.
If you want to use your expertise to drive strategic business outcomes, then we want you at IMCO!
IMCO is looking for a highly motivated Principal, Sustainability Value Creation to join our growing team!
We are looking for a Principal to join the Sustainable Investing (SI) team during an exciting period of transformative change and growth across IMCO’s $39B global private markets portfolio. SI is an integral part of the investing organization at IMCO as we grow our portfolio, build out the direct investments program, as well as deliver IMCO’s Climate and ESG objectives.
Reporting to the Senior Principal, Sustainable Investing, you will play several key roles:
- You will work with deal teams, management teams, senior stakeholders, and external advisors to establish and deliver world-class sustainability value creation in our direct investment portfolio and support the private portfolio in the Net Zero transition.
- You will act a subject matter expert in sustainability, including climate & ESG, leveraging deep industry experience to help our investment teams implement sustainability strategies across the direct investment portfolio.
The ideal candidate has a track record of identifying critical sustainability issues, driving to strong outcomes, working in complex stakeholder environments, leading and facilitating senior dialogue, as well as building strong relationships at multiple levels. The ideal candidate will effectively team across IMCO to deliver impact.
As a member of our team, you will:
- Assist in sustainability due diligence for new deal opportunities, working with deal teams to analyze risks and opportunities of investment
- Identify and implement market-leading sustainability practices and value creation opportunities across the portfolio, including but not limited to Net-Zero planning, decarbonization levers, ESG improvement activities, new green market opportunities
- Influence and keep stakeholders up to date on best practices to manage sustainability risks and opportunities across private asset classes
- Maintain and enhance assessment and monitoring of sustainability related portfolio performance
- Monitor developments of sustainability practices relative to peers and the financial industry more broadly, and ensure the firm is positioned effectively for credibility and leadership
- Seamlessly liaise with the Asset Management team on asset outreach, development and maintenance of relevant toolkits, integration of Sustainability into other asset management workflows (e.g. monitoring / governance / onboarding)
- Engage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to deliver sustainability objectives and advance IMCO’s sustainability initiatives, leading and participating in other Sustainable Investing initiatives as required
- Structure complex problems, identifying underlying issues and paths to resolution
- Effectively use a wide range of internal and external resources to build expertise and drive to an answer
- Work collaboratively with deal teams to deliver insight and impact
- Work with internal and external partners to develop and implement analytical frameworks and tools to measure climate risk and opportunity and build sustainable investing portfolios
- Support other asset management initiatives as required (e.g. standing up platforms / onboarding assets / developing value creation plans, etc)
What do you need to succeed?
- Master’s degree or equivalent
- At least 5 years of relevant professional work experience in Management Consulting, Investments, Asset Management, and/or Operating experience
- Expertise in ESG and climate analysis, financial modelling, working with ESG and climate datasets
- Comprehensive understanding of asset management and financial markets, with the ability to demonstrate the investment relevance of Climate/ESG issues
- Strong experience structuring problems and driving to decision and action, delivering business results
- Experience working in complex stakeholder environments
- Experience working in deal environments including leading acquisitions, diligence and / or asset management activities
- Strong service orientation with a demonstrated ability to forge relationships with internal and external partners
- Strong research and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative, and business judgement
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and the ability to communicate with a broad stakeholder group
- Team player who enjoys a collaborative environment and high-performance culture
What IMCO Can Offer You:
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, to deliver an unparalleled employee experience and to work as one team to continuously improve the management of broader public-sector investment funds and pension plans. In addition to offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package, we pride ourselves on helping you reach your potential, making a difference in our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our hybrid work model offers flexibility and provides our employees with the opportunity to lead a well-balanced life. Our Corporation’s offices located at 16 York Street, Suite 2400, Toronto, ON M5J 0E6 provide a welcoming space for employees to gather, work collaboratively, and grow together.
IMCO is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities in its recruitment process. Please advise IMCO if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs. Candidates being considered for this position will be required to submit to a background screening.