IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Infrastructure Group (including the Global and Regional Infrastructure and Energy Departments), with an existing investment portfolio of about US$12 billion under management, provides investment and advisory services for private sector and municipal clients across energy, mining, transport, utilities, and telecom/media/technology sectors, and further mobilizes private sector capital from institutional investors and other financial institutions. IFC Infrastructure is committed to aligning its operation with IFC’s Paris Alignment commitments and has an ambitious target to further scale up its climate business and development impact over the coming years, including through sustainable finance, capital markets and innovation.
It is in this context that IFC Global Infrastructure is seeking to recruit an Investment Analyst to be based in Washington DC and who will jointly report [to the Global Climate Lead and the Sustainable Finance Lead] for IFC Infrastructure.
Duties And Accountabilities
The roles and responsibilities of the position will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Proactively learn about climate, sustainable and transition finance and capital markets and stay current on key climate, sustainable finance and capital markets trends and innovations across Infra sub-sectors (energy, mining, transport, waste & water, cities, TMT) by actively participating in internal knowledge and business development sessions.
- Support investment and advisory project teams within IFC Infrastructure on Paris alignment, climate, sustainable and transition finance and capital markets transactions as required (assessments, benchmarking, providing best practice examples and documents, talking points, climate and ESG data collection, etc.) under the supervision of a senior colleague.
- Contributing to regular updates of intranet pages, marketing brochures, newsletters, market trends reports and generic pitch materials of Infrastructure department’s Climate, Sustainable Finance and Capital Markets teams.
- Produce monthly pipeline updates and reports for Climate Finance, Sustainable Finance and Capital Markets transactions, as well as other reports, presentation materials, briefings and other deliverables as required, in coordination with relevant colleagues within the IFC Infrastructure department and with other functions (IFC Climate Business Department, Sustainable Infrastructure Advisory, etc.).
- Contribute to corporate initiatives related to Climate Finance, Sustainable Finance and Capital Markets topics in IFC under the supervision of a senior colleague.
- Support client relationship managers with compelling pitches to help enhance clients’ sustainability strategies and implement specific programs or projects and therefore contribute to promoting climate business (Renewable Energy, Electric Vehicles, Electric Equipment, Water Treatment and Savings, Energy Efficiency/Green Buildings, etc.) and market innovations (Green/Blue Financing, Sustainability-Linked Financing, Biodiversity finance, etc.), as well as other sustainability priorities (such as gender) and capital markets related topics within IFC Infrastructure.
- Support the team in organizing knowledge management and training events on climate, sustainable finance and capital markets related issues, in coordination with IFC Infrastructure’s Knowledge Management team.
- Support the team and the client relationship managers in organizing external climate- or sustainability-related external events, as required.
- 2-3 years of experience with an investment bank, consulting firm, an international financial institution, preferably with experience related to climate/sustainability and/or infrastructure financing
- Keen interest in the climate and sustainability agenda and capital markets
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues in a multicultural team environment, and to work on multiple projects across a given time in a global setting across a wide range of time zones
- A high level of proficiency with MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint is essential; and familiarity with Bloomberg, Bloomberg NEF or other ESG databases is a plus
- High level of energy, initiative, and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work project requirements
- Fluency in English essential – must be able to write and communicate in English at the full professional proficiency level. Ability to work in other languages a plus.
- Highly motivated
- Fully committed to highest ethical standards
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.