Head of ESG Risk
At M&G our purpose is to help people manage and grow their savings and investments, responsibly. As a business, we are continuing to take steps towards a sustainable future, delivering better long-term solutions for our customers and clients and identifying new opportunities to make a positive impact for our environment and communities . To help us achieve our vision we’re looking for exceptional people who live our values of care and integrity and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We will consider flexible working arrangements for any of our roles and also offer work place accommodations to ensure you have what you need to effectively deliver in your role.
Context for the role:
The post holder will sit within the second line of defense (2LoD) risk function in the Organisational Risk team and have the opportunity to shape the risk management approach at M&G Plc on Sustainability & ESG (Environment, Social and Governance) Risk. This role covers a range of sustainability topics including climate change, net zero, governance, ESG regulation and client and corporate reporting across the asset owner, asset manager and corporate, providing both breadth and depth on this fast moving and strategically important topic.
The Organisational Risk team is tasked with identifying and managing sustainability (ESG), behavioural and reputational risks that could impact negatively on the perception held by a range of stakeholder groups of M&G plc and portfolio of brands (currently Prudential & M&G).
Reporting to the Head of Organisational Risk, the Head of ESG Risk will be a senior member of a multi-faceted team that ensures that key areas of sustainability (ESG), behavioural and reputational risks arising from process and procedures, behaviours and communication approaches are identified and managed. In ESG, this includes covering ESG risks that could impact M&G plc, as well as the way that M&G plc impacts ESG matters across the plc, asset owner and asset manager.
The Head of ESG Risk will form part of an internal consultancy team, who act as an independent sounding board across M&G plc, providing check and challenge for ESG working groups and 1LOD business owners, supporting the Exec, Committee and Board. The team will help to manage ESG risks across the business, providing risk oversight of ESG activity, input into projects and advice and/or challenge on specific ESG issues. The team will also provide scrutiny for the incident prevention and incident response functions to minimise reputational damage arising from ESG incidents.
The Head of ESG Risk will play a key role in embedding ESG risk management at M&G, as well as helping to shape M&G’s approach to ESG overall, supporting education and behaviour change to help increase capacity and understanding of ESG risk and empower employees to incorporate ESG risk into the decisions and actions they take on behalf of the business.
Key accountabilities for this role:
• To develop ESG risk framework including development of KRIs and monitoring processes,
• Oversee ESG Risk reporting to the CRO & appropriate committees/ Boards and provide supporting analysis/insight.
• To build relationships with the business to educate and challenge on their approach to all aspects of ESG, providing specialist input on ESG matters
• To develop and maintain a relevant external network to provide industry perspectives
Key knowledge, skills and experience:
- Knowledge of ESG matters in financial services, preferably including experience of working with investment businesses on matters such as stewardship, climate change, ESG reporting and ESG data.
- Background knowledge of ESG matters across E, S and G including climate change, biodiversity, social matters and governance.
- Working knowledge of financial services ESG regulatory and legislative frameworks
- Working knowledge of the development of key risk indicators and enterprise risk management frameworks
- Knowledge of life & pensions and savings & investment products, markets and competitors
- Strong team leader able to set clear priorities, delegate appropriately, provide coaching and feedback
- Strategic and innovative thinker, with ability to contribute to the development of the strategic direction, priorities and plans
- Influencing and management skills with senior executives and at Board level, building strong relationships with senior management
- Self-starter, excellent under pressure, results focused – able to identify opportunities and take initiative and respond rapidly and flexibly to urgent priorities that arise on an ad-hoc basis.
- Understanding of the wider business, economic, regulatory and market environment in which M&G plc operates, with experience of ESG development in financial services
- Experience of risk management, developing frameworks, providing risk guidance and developing policy/position statements
- Track record of building close partnerships with senior stakeholders and being able to influence effectively, including reporting and influencing at executive or Board Committee
Experience Level: Integration Leader
Recruiter: Helen Simons
We have a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture at M&G plc, underpinned by our policies and our employee-led networks who provide networking opportunities, advice and support for the diverse communities our colleagues represent. Regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, nationality or disability we are looking to attract, promote and retain exceptional people. We also welcome those who take part in military service and those returning from career breaks.
Job ID R10763