Website Hazelview Investments
About the Company:
Hazelview Investments is an active investor, owner and manager of global real estate assets. Founded in 1999, Hazelview currently manages over $11.6 billion in total assets across two key investment strategies; direct investments in real estate and investment in publicly traded companies that own investment-grade real estate. We use our global knowledge and expertise to make insightful real estate investments and to actively create value for our team, clients, residents and tenants. We see value potential that others have missed. We bring the same philosophy to human investment that we bring to asset investment; focus on the underlying value, commit to maximizing its potential; work at it; be patient; take personal responsibility; share in the rewards. We’re driven to create value for people and places.
Vision: “We create value for people and places”.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership Mindset
- Having Fun
About the Position:
Hazelview is seeking a Partner, Sustainability to drive our ESG initiatives, with a special focus on environmental sustainability and reporting/disclosure. Reporting to the Managing Partner & Head of Sustainability & Brand, you will be responsible for leading and developing sustainability and ESG throughout Hazelview including implementing strategic priorities, setting and monitoring goals/targets, evaluating technology solutions, managing suppliers, reporting and communicating to key stakeholders. This role will collaborate and work cross-functionally with several internal groups and external stakeholders.
- Engage with internal stakeholders, senior leadership to develop ESG strategies that support organizational ESG.
- Provide subject matter expertise on industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Subject matter expertise on environmental sustainability specifically (vs. social sustainability).
- Help create systems, formalize processes, and establish frameworks for ESG initiatives to increase transparency, accountability, and track performance.
- Lead internal ESG audits across departments.
- Design and facilitate working groups, workshops, and conference calls to support strategic planning, goal setting, and ESG metrics measurement and tracking.
- Respond to requests for corporate sustainability information from internal stakeholders and partners, including reviewing responses to corporate sustainability questions in ESG surveys and operational due diligence questionnaires.
- Report performance transparently to the market on an annual basis via our annual Sustainability Report.
- Examine industry and best practice trends to apply insights that support internal processes and strategic direction.
- Undertake research to ensure the latest trends, standards, incentives, and regulations are known and implement appropriate policies and practices as a result.
- Other duties and project management assignments, as directed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, major in Environmental Science/Studies, Commerce, Environment and Sustainability or related field an asset.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, preferably in corporate sustainability/ESG reporting, sustainable investing, investment stewardship, and/or environmental sustainability.
- Experience in and/or exposure to the multi-residential sector considered an asset.
- Previous Investment experience.
- Experience with global reporting frameworks such as GRI, SASB, TCFD and/or GRESB. Understanding of upcoming ISSB requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of corporate governance, social, and environmental issues, preference for climate change expertise and carbon accounting expertise.
- Exposure to low-carbon technologies, renewable energy technologies, smart building technologies, carbon offsetting, and RECs.
- A good understanding of BOMA BEST, LEED, WELL, FitWel, CaGBC/GBCI/IWBI and/or the Zero Carbon Building Standard.
- LEED AP, Certified Energy Manager (CEM), CMVP, or other relevant credentials would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to sustainability and active interest in emerging ESG trends.
- Detailed working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including an advanced understanding of Excel.
- Effective storyboarding and formal presentation skills.
- Self-directed, effective team player who requires minimal supervision.
- Flexible approach to work, a consistently positive and collaborative attitude, and strong conflict-resolution.
- Exceptional relationship-building, interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Sound judgment and discretion.
- Strong ability to prioritize workload and manage competing priorities to meet deadlines.
Hazelview Investments is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability–related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know. We will accommodate your needs as required under applicable legislation. Information related to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All selected candidates will be asked to complete pre-employment criminal & background checks. Any offer of employment is conditional upon satisfactory results of all applicable checks. We thank all applicants for their submissions.
Bachelors or better in Commerce or related field.
Bachelors or better in Environmental Studies or related field.
Understanding of BOMA BEST, LEED, WELL, FitWel, CaGBC/GBCI/IWBI and/or the Zero Carbon Building Standard
Advanced knowledge of corporate governance, social, and environmental issues, preference for climate change expertise
Exposure to low-carbon technologies, renewable energy technologies, smart building technologies, carbon offsetting, and RECs
Experience with global reporting frameworks such as GRI, SASB, TCFD and/or GRESB
Experience in and/or exposure to the multi-residential sector considered an asset
10 years: Relevant experience, preferably in corporate sustainability/ESG reporting, sustainable investing, investment stewardship, and/or environmental sustainability
Licenses & Certifications