Website Franklin Templeton
At Franklin Templeton, everything we do is focused on one thing – delivering better client outcomes. We do that by partnering closely with our clients, assessing their strategic needs, and identifying the solution or solutions that can meet the challenge. Over 9,500 employees working in 34 countries around the world are dedicated to servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 160 countries. For more than 70 years our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people, and we are looking for qualified candidates to join our team.
About The Opportunity
Are you looking for an opportunity to drive change across a global organization and lead an international team in expanding our stewardship and sustainable investing practices across our firm and multi-asset investment portfolios? If so, look no further. This is your opportunity to make an impact, be part of a solution, and join a collaborative team of like-minded individuals looking to make the world a better place.
At Franklin Templeton (FT), we are looking for a VP/Director of Sustainability Global Markets to drive our firm’s strategic direction on sustainable investment strategy globally. In this newly created role, the Director will serve as an advocate and spokesperson to our clients, external organizations, policy makers and regulators, and internal stakeholders – positioning and promoting FT as a thoughtful leader in sustainability. The Director will manage and lead the Global Sustainability Strategy Team, consisting of 19 investment professionals located in Europe, Asia, and United States, with firm-wide responsibilities to implement our global sustainable investment strategy and priorities identified by the Global Head of Sustainability and the Stewardship and Sustainability Council. The Director will report to the Global Head of Sustainability, who reports directly to Franklin Templeton’s President and CEO.
Franklin Templeton’s Corporate Social Responsibility goals outline the firm’s commitment to sustainability, which address our responsibilities of taking care of people, prosperity and the planet. For investors, the key factors that foster long-term risk-adjusted returns are the effective management of financial, human, and natural capital. The tremendous challenges and opportunities these bring address issues such as climate change, diversity, equity and inclusion, and drive the strategic priorities for our organization and investment teams going forward.
What are the key responsibilities of the VP/Director of Sustainability Global Markets?
- Oversee the overall execution and efficacy of Franklin Templeton’s sustainability program
- Manage the implementation of the Sustainable Investment Strategy
- Identify and act on sustainability investing issues that have business-critical impact on short term priorities and long-term value, reputation, and narrative
- Build a strategic, highly consultative approach to stakeholder management, including internal and external relationships
- Partner with stakeholders on cross-functional projects requiring strategic business change
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships across the independent Specialist Investment Managers (SIMs) at Franklin Templeton
- Advise on policy and regulation relevant to Franklin Templeton’s business, including in Europe around sustainable finance and forthcoming regulation and legislation in Asia Pacific and the Americas, particularly the United States in this arena
- Facilitate improved understanding and integration of material sustainability factors into the investment decision-making process, and throughout the investment lifecycle, covering both risks and opportunities
- Provide thought leadership in developing and shaping the narrative in our theme of ‘Beyond ESG’ and towards sustainable finance, including across publications, marketing and communications efforts in partnership with the Franklin Templeton Institute
- Advise the Franklin Templeton Academy on appropriate training and development courses on sustainable investment. Provide mentoring and best practice sharing across business functions to improve capacity across the firm’s business functions
- Represent Franklin Templeton at client events, conferences, speaking engagements and at industry associations, including partners, regulatory and legislative bodies
- Lead, manage, and develop a high performing, diverse, global team with a wide range of responsibilities and expertise
- Draft, prepare and present reports, presentations and recommendations to the Global Head of Sustainability, the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors, Executive Committee and other key business partners internally
- Maintain a high level of working knowledge of sustainability related policies, regulations, research and investment practice relevant at the state, federal and international level
- What ideal qualifications, skills & experience would help someone to be successful?
- Minimum of 15+ years of in-depth experience in leadership with management responsibility, and a deep international expertise in sustainable investment gained from both academic or professional training and practitioner knowledge, to understand best practice and implement thoughtful, tailored, strategic solutions
- Strong investment knowledge – CFA charter holder or legal qualification-
- Exposure and experience across the spectrum of asset classes and strategies: public equities, fixed income, private equity, hedge funds, liability-driven investing, multi-asset, commercial real estate, trade finance
- Deep understanding of financial markets and the role of asset owners, asset managers, advisers, regulators, policy makers, and stakeholders, with their roles in sustainable investment.
- Experience working with diverse teams across the firm’s business which includes the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific
- Experience writing and responding to national and international regulatory and standard setting bodies, including private briefings, plus formal oral and written testimony
- Broad range of experience collaborating cross-functionally to manage stakeholder partnerships at all levels of seniority
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally in line with business needs.
- Compensation Range: Along with base compensation, other compensation is offered such as a discretionary bonus, 401k plan, health insurance, and other perks. There are several factors taken into consideration in making compensation decisions including but not limited to location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. At Franklin Templeton, we apply a total reward philosophy where all aspects of compensation and benefits are taken into consideration in determining compensation. The salary, benefits and variable rewards will reflect the seniority of the position and a competitive market rate. We expect the salary for this position to range between $250k – $300k.
- What makes Franklin Templeton unique?
- In addition to the dynamic and professional environment at Franklin Templeton, we strive to ensure that our employees have access to a competitive and valuable set of Total Rewards—the mix of both monetary and non-monetary rewards provided to you in recognition for your time, talents, efforts, and results. .
- Highlights Of Our Benefits Include
- Three weeks paid time off the first year
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with 85% company match on your pre-tax and/or Roth contributions, up to the IRS limits
- Employee Stock Investment Program
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Purchase of company funds with no sales charge
- Onsite fitness center and recreation center
- Onsite cafeteria
- We believe that being a good corporate citizen is good business. To us, corporate citizenship means being accountable, serving our clients, being an employer of choice, managing our environmental impact, and supporting our communities. An emphasis on corporate citizenship is embedded in our culture and values, and is an important element of how we achieve success.
- We are also committed to your learning and development with resources focused around Experience, Exposure, and Education, to help you achieve your professional development goals.
- Franklin Templeton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, or gender expression, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law, ordinance, or regulation. We invite you to visit us at Franklin Templeton Careers to learn more about our company, career opportunities and recruitment process.
Franklin Templeton is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. If you believe that you need an accommodation to search for, or apply for, one of our positions please send an email to accommodations@FranklinTempleton.com . In your email, please include the accommodation you are requesting and the job title and job number you are applying for. It may take up to three business days to receive a response to your request. Please note that only requests for accommodations will receive a response.