Are you a visionary and passionate leader? Would you love to guide our Energy practice with a focus on affordable and clean energy in emerging economies during an interesting period of growth? Then, let’s make the journey together! FMO is looking for an inspirational Director Energy.
As Director Energy you are responsible for FMO’s Energy vision and strategy with a strong focus on impact – combining innovation and scale. You take a leading and steering role in translating our Energy strategy in midterm business plans. This includes the definition of a clear market approach, client, and product strategy, using international networks. You are able to create a culture of trust and inclusion. You foster cooperation within and between departments. You are a resilient leader who can lead the Energy practice whilst navigating meaningful growth and change in a dynamic and complex sector.
In This Director Energy Role, You
- Increase FMO’s impact in the sector through responsibility for > EUR 2 billion portfolio of emerging market Energy (debt) investments and new (debt) investments of around EUR 600-700 million per annum and will grow this significantly.
- Ensure a strong impact focus with an integrated approach to implementing KYC, environmental, social and governance standards and value creation activities.
- Maintain a close relationship with and represent the department with international clients, financial partners, and stakeholders.
- Bring the department on a higher level of quality with strong portfolio and risk management and efficient deal execution using a risk-based approach.
- Lead a team of four managers and (indirectly) 50 employees with a strong focus on empowering and developing people.
Since you are part of FMO’s senior leadership team you are together in charge of the execution of FMO’s strategy and shaping FMO’s culture. You will take an inspiring and challenging role in the Directors team. You will also actively participate in FMO-wide decision-making bodies and projects.
- A competetive salary
- Premium free pension
- 31 holidays
- Working remotely abroad for 60 days in a rolling period of 12 months
- Hybrid way of working (50/50)
For more information, please visit our website Secondary Benefits – FMO
FMO’s activities in the Energy sector focus on the FMO-wide priority SDGs (8,10 and 13) and on SDG 7 (Affordable and Clean Energy). To achieve FMO’s energy strategy, next to wholesale renewable energy generation, FMO will also engage more challenging subsectors like grid development (incl. storage) and electricity access models (incl. mini-grids, solar home systems as well as C&I systems).
The Energy department focuses on debt investments in these sectors whereby it uses different sources of funds next to FMO’s own balance sheet. FMO manages several public funds (e.g. Access to Energy Fund) to make higher risk investments. Furthermore, FMO catalyses commercial capital, for instance through syndications and investment funds (e.g. the NN-FMO Emerging Market Loan Fund). Internally, the Energy department closely collaborates with the Energy and Venture Capital teams within the Private Equity department. Outside, innovative partnerships have been established such as Climate Investor 1 and ElectriFI.
The Energy department works in 4 teams focusing on different geographical regions, namely:
- Asia and Eastern Europe
- Latin America and Caribbean
- Southern and East Africa
- West Africa and MENA
You have a leadership profile with gravitas and are able to inspire and influence people across the business. You have the ability to manage and direct people and processes. You are able to monitor the progress of the activities concerned and holding people accountable. You know how to translate the strategy into decisions, and decisions into action by clearly communicating and cascading in the organization. You have the ability to place matters in a broader perspective to show conceptual and policy-related thinking, taking the longer term into consideration. You can easily switch between strategical and hands-on style leadership.
You think outside-in and focus on client delivery with an eye for innovation. You can strike the right balance between high quality and pragmatism and are able to set priorities. Teamwork is your preferred style, but you are not afraid to express a contradictory opinion or show countervailing power. You have a strong desire for continued learning. You are resilient and able to succeed in a constantly evolving business and difficult stakeholder environment. You have the curiosity to dive in and understand issues and act as a role model in terms of FMO’s values and behaviors.
Also, You Possess
- A master’s degree preferably in Economics, Business Administration or Finance.
- At least 15+ years of experience within Financial Services as an investment professional.
- Verifiable experience in impact investing in emerging markets, particularly in the (renewable) energy sector as well as in project finance.
- Solid experience with steering larger heterogeneous teams in an international and fast-changing environment.
- An extensive international network.
Please note, if we make you an offer to join FMO, you will need to work through the screening process with our screening partner. The process is designed to check your integrity and reliability.
FMO – mission and values
We hire candidates with a passion for our mission; to empower entrepreneurs to build a better world. The values we live by are: Making the Difference, Diversity, Quality, and Integrity.
Diversity is one of our values. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability and pregnancy.
At FMO we also value knowledge exchange and collaboration. We seek to hire people who will contribute to and use FMO’s knowledge by using and sharing good practices, lessons learned and experiences and who will encourage others to do the same.