Website Fidelity International
About The Opportunity
About the Sustainable Investing team
Fidelity believes that high standards of corporate responsibility make good business sense and protect and enhance investment returns. Our investment process takes environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) issues into account when, in our view, these have a material impact on either investment risk or return. We gain an understanding of the relevant ESG issues applicable to our investments through our internal research process and in collaboration with a highly technical in-house Sustainable Investing team to identify those issues which may potentially threaten the value of our investment.
ESG analysis is being carried out at an analyst level within the equity, fixed income, multi-asset and real estate teams and our portfolio managers are active in analysing the potential effects of these factors when making investment decisions. Our Sustainable Investing team works closely with the investment teams and is responsible for consolidating Fidelity’s approach to stewardship, engagement, ESG integration and the exercise of our votes at general meetings.
As one of the largest investment managers globally, our team works closely with policymakers, industry groups and non-governmental organisations to improve sustainable behaviours by businesses across the world. We are a signatory to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and the UN-backed Principles for Responsible Investing (PRI) to ensure companies have a consistent set of standards with which to work towards.
Fidelity’s Sustainable Investing team also works closely with external and collaborative ESG related bodies that seek to improve the way industries and regulated and companies are managed as well as to promote sustainable investing and social development.
Purpose of your role
You will work collaboratively with our investment professionals to integrate sustainability considerations into our investment process including engaging with our investee companies on ESG issues and providing proxy voting advice. You will also work with client-facing teams to evidence the ESG integration process to our clients and consultants. You will act as an ESG spokesperson for Fidelity internally and externally and be part of the team that represents our ESG capabilities in Australia and New Zealand. You will contribute to the development of Fidelity’s responsible investment policies and proxy voting guidelines.
Stewardship, Corporate Governance & ESG Integration
Collaborate with Fidelity analysts and portfolio managers to maintain awareness of ESG stock drivers and implement sustainability practices into our investment process, including supporting qualitative and quantitative thematic sustainable investments and providing proxy voting advice.
- Support the Director in the design and implementation of the Australian engagement priorities.
- Lead engagements with investee companies on ESG issues in conjunction with the investment team.
- Contribute to the development of Fidelity’s global responsible investment policies and proxy voting guidelines.
- Support Equities Analysts in the application of frameworks such our Sustainability Ratings and Climate Alignment ratings.
- Work with Portfolio Managers in strengthening their ESG integration activities.
- Support the Director in raising Fidelity’s profile as a leader of sustainable Investment and investor stewardship.
- Participate of ESG-related matters and represent Fidelity on various ESG-related associations (including IGCC, ASFI, FSC and RIAA working groups), shareholder meetings, industry conferences, events and panel discussions as required.
- Support the development of written material as required for public consumption by editorial and communications teams.
- Participate on client meetings together with other members of the team in order to articulate Fidelity’s approach to ESG.
- Help build understanding of Fidelity’s overall strategies and objectives and manage relationships with internal stakeholders on all aspects of ESG and sustainability
- Develop mutually productive relationships with individuals from various parts of the Fidelity complex, including investment management teams, legal and compliance, product development, investment directors, institutional, sales & marketing and operations
Policy and research
- Use market knowledge to create thought leadership and thematic articles for an external audience
- Participate in the writing and research assignments including company ESG research notes, policy drafts and thematic memoranda on ESG issues of topical interest
- Participate the development of positive ESG regulation in Australia and collaborate with global public policy, legal and compliance teams in responding to formal and informal regulatory consultations
- Operate independently with confidence and credibility to influence outcomes at a senior stakeholder level both internally and externally
- Maintain a constructive, supportive and collaborative working environment and participate in overall team building activities
- Contribute where required to the essential workflow of the team to ensure that all key deliverables are met in a timely and efficient manner
Experience And Qualifications Required
- 5-10 years of experience of working within ESG/voting teams in the investment industry
- Advanced experience in corporate engagement and proxy voting on sustainability and governance themes
- Subject matter expert in various ESG themes with ability to articulate investment-relevant insights and research
- Excellent writing and drafting skills, communication and presentation skills
- Strong attention to detail and strong appreciation for providing supporting analysis
- Ability to form relationships, be credible with internal and external stakeholders
- Proactive approach to work with a proven ability to multitask
- Team oriented with a creative and innovative mind-set
About Fidelity International
We’ve been helping our clients plan and save for the futures they want for over 50 years. From more than 25 locations around the world, we provide investment services and retirement expertise to 2.5 million clients – everyone from central banks and financial institutions to wealth managers and private individuals. We think generationally and look to the long term. And today, building on the security of private ownership and our strong sense of purpose, we’re growing our business like never before.
What It’s Like To Work Here.
In our welcoming, caring culture, you’ll feel valued, trusted and free to express yourself. We recognise the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought and in experience. With this in mind, please let us know if you feel you might benefit from any reasonable adjustments to perform to the best of your ability during the recruitment process and beyond.
As well as a clear commitment to inclusion, we offer real flexibility about where, when and how you work. It’s an approach we call ‘dynamic working’, and you’ll find it brings the very best out in you.
For more about who we are, how we work and the part you could play in both our progress and our future, visit careers.fidelityinternational.com.
Or, if you’re feeling inspired, start your journey with us right now.
Applying to this Job Role: Please note you are only required to upload your CV/Resume to the application screen.