Website British International Investment
Our mission and objectives
- British International Investment is the UK’s development finance institution, owned by the UK Government. We invest with the aim of solving the biggest global development challenges by investing patient, flexible capital to support private sector growth and innovation.
- We have over 75 years of experience successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and Asia, and have recently expanded to invest in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean.
- We invest to achieve impact and a financial return which is then reinvested for more impact. Over the past five years, we have committed almost £7 billion of new investments, with our net assets growing in value to approximately £7.7 billion. We are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 900,000 workers and support many more. Over the next five years, we plan to grow further, and aim to commit around £9 billion of new investments over the period.
- Our new five-year strategy responds to the opportunities and challenges facing developing and emerging economies. To ensure our capital is used in the best way possible to meet these opportunities and challenges, it sets out three clear strategic objectives – to invest in productive, sustainable and inclusive development. These objectives mean an increased focus on climate finance, including investing in green infrastructure; on financing digital transformation; and on driving inclusive outcomes, including through gender and diversity finance.
- We changed our name to British International Investment in 2022, to more accurately reflect our central role in the UK Government’s international financing offer.
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ghana and Singapore; with additional locations opening soon.
- We take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract, and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 600 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us and the new strategy at bii.co.uk
Team and role overview
- BII has a range of specialist staff within its Impact Group who support the design and delivery of its impact agenda. The Environment and Social Governance – Impact team is one of these:
- Environment and Social Governance – Impact: A team of circa 30 based in London, India, Nigeria and South Africa which is involved in all BII investments and provides assurance that BII’s Policy on Responsible Investing (PRI) is applied on all deals, and that BII is proactive in helping its borrowers, investee companies and fund managers achieve larger and more positive E&S impacts (adding ESG value to BII transactions/portfolio companies/financial institutions).
- Other teams in BII’s Impact Group include, Gender & Diversity, Development Impact, Business Integrity & Corporate Governance, Climate and BII+ (our technical assistance programme).
- The candidate’s primary role will be to work with the transaction teams to ensure that the requirements of BII’s PRI are met. Specifically, this will involve due diligence, portfolio monitoring, technical advice and value add to investees/ project sponsors, as well as participation in broader ESG-I team activities.
- The successful candidate should have a strong and demonstrable track record in environmental and social impact in relation to private sector investment.
BII is hiring for an Executive or Manager level ESG professional for a 12-months Fixed Term Contract. The level will depend on depth of experience.
- Contribute to the evaluation of investment proposals, including preparation of Environmental and Social (E&S) inputs into Investment Committee papers.
- Work with the ESG-I and Investment teams to implement BII’s E&S policies in investee companies.
- Work with BII’s investment teams to ensure that BII’s E&S requirements and policies are consistently applied by all investees.
- Work with investees to improve their E&S systems, policies and procedures, including the negotiation of action plans where necessary.
- Monitor investee compliance with BII’s Policy on Responsible Investing.
- Contribute to the delivery of E&S training, both for BII’s internal investment teams and for BII’s investees.
- Work on ad hoc projects such as case studies and “lessons learnt” analysis, analysis of trends in assessing development impact particularly with relation to E&S issues.
- Meet with companies, institutions and fund managers as well as visiting portfolio companies as part of BII’s due diligence and on-going portfolio monitoring.
- Contribute to periodic reports on E&S matters for internal and external parties, including BII’s Board and FCDO.
- Mentor and support the professional development of other staff.
- Participate in the compilation of briefing materials, case studies and other documents to illustrate how responsible business practices and improvements on E&S matters contribute to business success.
Essential technical skills:
- Significant practical and proven experience in working on environmental and social impact and development with investors and private sector companies in BII investment geographies (the role will require an individual who can pick up workstreams quickly and effectively, and lead engagements with investees and BII investment teams)
- Advanced degree level equivalent (ideally Master’s degree) in a relevant discipline such as environmental and/or social sciences, development studies, engineering, finance or a similar area.
- Proven work experience in a related field (ESG, sustainability, impact/socially responsible investing), preferably within development finance, E&S consulting, banking, private equity or the investment industry.
- Ability to travel often at short notice or being based in our investment geographies (optionality for BII offices in London, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Lagos, Mumbai or Bangalore).
- Knowledge of environmental and social issues as they apply to businesses operating in BII’s core markets.
- Familiarity with the application of IFC Performance Standards to investments in either financial services, infrastructure (including power sector), manufacturing, agriculture, forestry, telecoms, business services or real estate.
Essential non-technical skills:
- Strong communication skills, including report writing, use of PowerPoint and diagrams to present information in a concise format, and oral communication.
- Effective negotiation skills, including the ability to be persuasive as well as to listen and pragmatically identify when compromise is required.
- Highly motivated and results driven.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent logic reasoning and structure in thought and communications.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritise a busy and diverse workload with a range of deliverables for a variety of stakeholders.
- Enjoy working as part of a team, collaborating and coordinating where appropriate.
- Ability to support and mentor colleagues, as well as to take on board advice.
- Good judgement.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience of working in or with clients/investments or organisations in Southeast Asia.
- Biodiversity expertise and experience with IFC PS 6.
- French language skills.
- Experience analysing the environmental and social management systems of private equity funds or financial institutions is desirable.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
British International Investment is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Application End Date: 30 Aug 2023