Website Morgan Stanley
Bank | Asset Manager
About Morgan Stanley Investment Management
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (“MSIM”) is a global investment manager with over 40 years of history delivering innovative investment solutions across public and private markets worldwide. We have $1.4Tn of AUM with professionals located across 21 countries, with a proven long‐ term track record of success. Our investment teams bring significant expertise in structuring complex financial transactions and commitment to partnering with world‐ class management teams. Morgan Stanley’s extensive business relationships and global network of resources afford our private equity and credit teams as well as our portfolio companies’ unparalleled access to leading corporations, executive talent, as well as competitive deal sourcing advantages.
About Calvert Research And Management
Calvert Research and Management is a recognized leader in responsible investing. Our mission is to deliver superior long-term performance to our clients and to enable them to achieve positive impact. Calvert Research and Management is located in Washington, DC and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morgan Stanley.
Calvert Research and Management has approximately $34.8 billion of mutual fund and separate account assets under management as of March 31, 2023. The company traces its roots to Calvert Investments, which in 1982 launched the first mutual fund to avoid investment in companies doing business in apartheid-era South Africa. Today, the Calvert Funds are one of the largest and most diversified families of responsibly invested mutual funds, encompassing actively and passively managed U.S. and international equity, fixed and floating-rate income, and multi-asset strategies. For more information, visit www.calvert.com.
Calvert’s investment approach is distinguished by the breadth and depth of our research, the industry-specific expertise of our teams, and an emphasis on discerning the precise Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues most relevant to each company we invest in. Calvert’s research strives to create a holistic view by identifying which specific ESG factors are most relevant (i.e. financially material) within a given subindustry. This process then enables us to identify the key aspects of the business most likely to affect financial outcomes, ultimately guiding our investment decisions and corporate engagement efforts. Calvert’s edge comes from how we evaluate ever-evolving, incredibly diverse sets of data.
Calvert’s ESG Technology Product Development Team supports all aspects of our business, including research, product development, engagement, and impact reporting. The Team collaborates closely across business and technology lines to integrate Calvert assets within MSIM, execute on an integrated roadmap, and present innovative solutions for an improved operating environment.
The ESG Product Owner will be responsible for delivery of end-to-end solutions for ESG modeling and analytics, including developing in-house applications for established processes or developing python notebooks for quick analysis. The ESG Product Owner is expected to work across multiple business units including technology development, investment teams across asset classes, marketing, and legal and compliance. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience with managing complex technology projects from start to finish.
- Oversee the design and development of research tools and internal dashboards for analyzing ESG data related to companies and portfolios, this could include:
- Tools to prototype & test portfolio level ESG metrics for portfolio analysis or impact analysis
- Tools to evaluate company performance against peer groups on ESG issues
- Expanding ESG modeling across asset classes and across global markets
- Automating manual processes or calculations; and creating scalable frameworks
- In conjunction with key stakeholders, develop product strategy for research, analysis, and modeling tools and rationalize existing applications as part of that strategy
- Define technical requirements, write user stories, participate in sprint planning and conduct user acceptance testing (UAT) in an Agile squad
- Bridge the needs of multiple stakeholders to evaluate solutions and make objective recommendations for process improvements at the firm level
- Fulfill ad-hoc data analysis needs; develop SQL queries or python notebooks; identify, analyze & interpret data
- Work across various stakeholders to ensure each product conforms to existing firm policies and procedures
- Analyze and resolve application production issues and act as first level of support for Calvert business user issues and questions
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Prior experience with technical product development in Agile squads
- Practical understanding of relational database design and familiarity with SQL server programming, and experience pulling data from SQL and Snowflake databases
- Programming experience with Python using Jupyter notebooks
- Advanced skills in data interpretation, qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Affinity for technical writing and presenting, ability to formally document requirements, reach agreements with others, and explain detailed requirements to others as needed
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively in both formal and informal contexts in a fashion tailored for the audience
- Strong problem solving skills
- Able to work independently with minimal direction and guidance from manager
- Highly skilled in incorporating successful interviewing, facilitation, and documentation techniques within a project
- Strong client service skills
- Ability to deliver under stress in a fast-paced environment
- Methodical and attention to details
- Strong educational background in an analytical discipline such as Finance, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering
- Strong understanding of investment data and Investment Management industry
- Strong understanding of ESG data, and familiarity with third-party vendor methodologies
- Knowledge of machine learning, natural language processing, and geospatial analysis
Salary range for the position: $150,000-$250,000/Yr. The successful candidate may be eligible for an annual discretionary incentive compensation award. The successful candidate may be eligible to participate in the relevant business unit’s incentive compensation plan, which also may include a discretionary bonus component. Morgan Stanley offers a full spectrum of benefits, including Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental, Vision, Health Savings Account, Dependent Day Care Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability and Other Insurance Plans, Paid Time Off (including Sick Leave consistent with state and local law, Parental Leave and 20 Vacation Days annually), 10 Paid Holidays, 401(k), and Short/Long Term Disability, in addition to other special perks reserved for our employees. Please visit mybenefits.morganstanley.com to learn more about our benefit offerings.
Morgan Stanley’s goal is to build and maintain a workforce that is diverse in experience and background but uniform in reflecting our standards of integrity and excellence. Consequently, our recruiting efforts reflect our desire to attract and retain the best and brightest from all talent pools. We want to be the first choice for prospective employees.
It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy, veteran or military service status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (M/F/Disability/Vet).
Jun 21, 2023
Americas-United States of America-District of Columbia-Washington