Over the last 20 years, Ares’ success has been driven by our people and our culture. Today, our team is guided by our core values – Collaborative, Responsible, Entrepreneurial, Self-Aware, Trustworthy – and our purpose to be a catalyst for shared prosperity and a better future. Through our recruitment, career development and employee-focused programming, we are committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive work environment where high-performance talent of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives can build careers within this exciting and growing industry.
Ares is seeking an Associate for the ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) team. This ESG Associate will primarily support ESG integration into the Real Estate Business, while supporting firm-wide initiatives including climate-related efforts. The Associate will cover both on-going responsibilities and project-based including, but not limited to, greenhouse gas emissions measurement, decarbonization, renewable energy, and green building initiatives across the US and Europe. See Ares’ 2022 Sustainability Report for more information on our Corporate Sustainability and Responsible Investment Initiatives.
Reports to: Principal, ESG Lead for Real Estate
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
The Associate is responsible for the following functions:
- Support ESG initiatives across the global Real Estate platform including ESG data collection, due diligence, renewable energy, green building, and decarbonization efforts
- Partner with Real Estate ESG Champions and lead engagements with JV partners, development teams, investment professionals and deal teams as needed
- Support firm-wide ESG initiatives, including but not limited to Climate Change and Communications strategies
- Assist with developing, compiling, and analyzing metrics that track progress of the Real Estate ESG program globally
- Work with ESG team members and RFP team on firm-wide complex ESG-related inquiries
- Conduct benchmarking analysis and draft action plans for improvements in sustainability practices and decarbonization outcomes
- Lead project management and develop internal / external deliverables on ESG workstreams both within real estate and firmwide
- Conduct research and communicate findings on ESG industry trends and frameworks, in addition to ad hoc deep-dive research topics
- In partnership with the Global Head of ESG, create high visibility board materials
- Contribute to thought leadership through research and writing, and client engagement through content development and production of high-level presentation materials
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Passion for ESG, sustainability, and/or impact investing, with an entry level understanding of ESG implementation in Real Estate
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in a professional work environment
- Prior experience supporting an in-house Real Estate ESG team or Real Estate ESG Consulting
- Strong proficiency in PowerPoint and Word; proficiency in Excel
- Requires strong work ethic, flexibility, excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong analytical and written / verbal communication skills, including synthesizing research and concepts into actionable insights and investor-facing deliverables in a timely manner
- Comfort navigating ambiguity
- Team-oriented and organized, with the proven ability to proactively manage multiple projects with a broad range of stakeholders to deliver results in a dynamic environment
- Accountable, with a strong sense of ownership and attention to detail
Head of ESG
The anticipated base salary range for this position is listed below. Total compensation may also include a discretionary performance-based bonus. Note, the range takes into account a broad spectrum of qualifications, including, but not limited to, years of relevant work experience, education, and other relevant qualifications specific to the role.
$130,000.00 – $165,000.00
The firm also offers robust Benefits offerings. Ares U.S. Core Benefits include Comprehensive Medical/Rx, Dental and Vision plans; 401(k) program with company match; Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA); Healthcare Savings Accounts (HSA) with company contribution; Basic and Voluntary Life Insurance; Long-Term Disability (LTD) and Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance; Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and Commuter Benefits plan for parking and transit.
Ares offers a number of additional benefits including access to a world-class medical advisory team, a mental health app that includes coaching, therapy and psychiatry, a mindfulness and wellbeing app, financial wellness benefit that includes access to a financial advisor, new parent leave, reproductive and adoption assistance, emergency backup care, matching gift program, education sponsorship program, and much more.